Chapter 4

“You’re not getting a tattoo.” Zayn said to me and I bit my bottom lip.

“Y-yes I am.” I stuttered and Zayn rolled his eyes.

“Come on Maya, you look petrified.” Zayn stated and I sighed.

“Okay, fine. I didn’t come here for tattoo.” I said looking down.

“Then what are you doing here?” He asked.

“I came to apologize for what happened the other day.” I said to him and he shook his head.

“Forget about it, people always think I’m going to take shit from them.” He explained and I shook my head.

“No. No. I never thought that,” I said to him and he raised an eyebrow. “The jewelry box is my mom’s and, I don’t even know why I had it out to begin with. It was just getting me really upset, and I guess my actions were a little misleading.”

“Why would a box piss you off,” he asked and I got off of the chair.

“Look, you don’t know the first thing about me.” I snapped. “You have no clue what I’ve done or what I’ve been through, so before you start to make assumptions on my life, try getting to know me first.” And with that I made my way out of the shop, heading in the direction I came from.

“Maya, wait.” I heard Zayn call and I turned around. “Look, I’m sorry.”

“Just forget about it.” I sighed and turned around.

“Look I want to get to know you,” Zayn said and I turned back to him.

“What?”

“I want to get to know you.” He repeated himself. “You’re the first person in a long time that’s ever actually helped me, and treated me like I was an actual person.”

“Okay,” I said with a small smile. “Come over later,” He smiled down at me and nodded.

“Alright,” Zayn nodded and then he went back into the shop, while I headed back for the tube station.

**

I heard a knock at my door and I got off of the couch, making my way to the door. Zayn stood on the other side, his hands shoved in his pockets. I opened the door wider and gestured him to come in, which he did. I shut the door and we stood there for a minute, before I shut the door and brushed my hair out of my face. “Wanna sit down?” I asked and he shrugged. I made my way to the couch, and Zayn sat down behind me.

“So, tell me about yourself.” Zayn said and I played with my fingers.

“There’s honestly nothing interesting about me. I work at a book store, occasionally I bartend.” I said with a shrug. And Zayn raised an eye brow.

“That’s all,” He asked and I shrugged. “Come on,” he persisted.

“Fine, what do you want to know?” I sighed closing my eyes. The words that came out of his mouth next made my heart beat faster.

“Tell me about your past.”