10. The Moment Of Truth

Me and Merlin get done getting some water Noah was standing beside me. We turn and start to walk away from the pump but Merlin slows down.

"Mother?" I hear Merlin say I look around and find our mum.

"Merlin. History." Mum says speeding over hugging Merlin then she pulls away and hugs me. When she pulls back my smile drops I look at Merlin and he looks at me we both look back at mum.

"What happened? Who did this to you?" Me and Merlin ask in sync talking about the bruse on her face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." Mum tells Uther as we stand in the Council Chambers. Noah was holding my right hand and in his free hand he was gripping Arthur's jacket. Next to Arthur was Uther who was sitting in his chair mother was in front of us.

"Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility." Uther tells her

"We've appealed to our King but he cares little for the outline regions. You're our only hope." Mum says.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth." Uther says leaning foward

"You'll help us?" Mum says with hope

"I wish I could."

"Surely we can spare a few men?" Arthur says unfolding his arms grabbing Noah's hand that was gripping his jacket.

"Resources are not the problem." Uther says leaning back in his chair.

"Then what is?" I ask

"Ealdor lies beyond the Ridge of Essetir. For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war." Uther says

"I know you're a good king, a caring man. I'm begging you, help us, please." Mum says sitting on her knees and looking up at Uther.

"The accord we've struck with Cenred was years in the making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village. I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Uther says as mum looks down and starts to cry. Morgana glares at Uther and walks over to mum and helps her up. They turn and leave I look at Merlin and he looks at me we had to help even if Uther couldn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm sorry. If it were up to me, we'd be on our way there now." Arthur says as me and Merlin appear on both sides of him. I grab his hand and play with the dragon ring I gave him.

"You tried. And thank you for getting an audience with the King." Merlin says looking at Arthur.

"I wish that Camelot was able to help people regardless of how far away they lived."

"We're going back to Ealdor." Merlin says turning to Arthur fully.

"Of course." Arthur says not looking at Merlin but the town.

"It's been an honour serving you."

"You'll be coming back."

"Well, she's our mother. We have got to look after her before anyone else. You understand?"

"I'd do exactly the same. Well, you've been terrible. Really, I mean it. The worst servant I've ever had."

"Thank you, Sire." Merlin says turning around about to leave but Arthur stops him.

"Merlin. Good luck." Arthur says both of them looking at each other and Merlin nods. He leaves Arthur looks at me and I look at him. "You're both leaving huh?"