Chapter 17:

There was a bug inside the phone Harry gave. If you don't know what a bug is, it's a microchip device implanted so it could discreetly listen in and record conversations and such inside a proper conduit such as a phone. The type of bug I found is one that could transmit conversations even if I don't use the phone, as long as the phone microphone is on, then it could record conversations.

Why does Harry's phone have these? I've seen these on my missions, even implanted some of them myself. I can only thank my instincts that I got out of the car when I called Eric. Whoever planted this bug inside the phone didn't hear sh.it. And whoever that person is, I will find out.

I sliced the bug in half neatly so it could reassembled and tracked by HQ whoever implanted it. Whenever a bug is implanted, it needs to be tested before it's released and some developers delete that clip and some don't.

I'll be going back to LA before I continue chasing Harry. First, I need to drop off the bug to Liz or one of the people in the office to track it down in our IT department then I have to make up a lame excuse through Harry's un-bugged phone that the car broke down.

They all think Modest gave me a chance and a car when it was just one of our guys from IT who hacked into their number and called Louis with it. Oldest trick in the book, anyone could do it. The difference is, they could get tracked and we couldn't.

At some point, I'm quite angry at Harry for giving me a bugged phone. Who does he think he's messing with? But the rational part of my brain says it couldn't possibly be him. He doesn't know anything about this mission. But the sad fact is, I'm feeling less guilty about killing him.

~*~

"I found it inside the phone he gave me, he gave it to me 2 minutes before he left the lobby" I reported when Eric questioned me. I have approximately 7 minutes before I have to go back on the road.

"Location during conversation?"

"Outside the car, don't worry about that. It's good that I followed protocol. But I don't understand how Harry got a bugged iPhone" I shook my head. 6 minutes.

"Maybe he didn't get a bugged iPhone, maybe he bugged the iPhone himself or had someone else do it for him. Or he was given the bugged iPhone. The possibilities are endless but that is not your job. It's Barbara's. Our client is exuberant! You're idea got him so happy" Eric smiled. 4 minutes.

"I'm glad, can't wait to meet him" A flash of emotion went through Erics face but I started walking out the room.

"Now, since when did you want to meet our clients?" He chuckled nonchalantly.

"We'll have chit chat soon enough Eric, but I have to get on the road again. I only have 2 minutes less. I'll see you soon" I wave at him and leave before he gets to respond.

I hop back in my car and start driving way past speed limit. My thoughts are way too busy to what Eric had said. It's not impossible but to think Harry bugging it made me frustrated. But I've learned before never let my emotions get the best of me, especially in a mission.