Chapter 4

"No offence, but that dress makes you seem fat." Leah says, looking down at the dress I picked. Sometimes I really want to pick up a chair and high five her in the face with it.

"No offence taken sweetie. I don't take clothing advice from someone who looks like they dressed themselves in the dark." I smile, earning an eyeroll and a "geez, I was just trying to help" in return, bitch.

This is the most unfitting dress I've worn, of course it still is revealing but I picked it out two sizes too big on purpose. It's a long brown dress with an open back, and the most unflattering material - If you haven't guessed yet, it's the big day, my engagement party.

I woke up a couple of days ago at a hotel room after we went out clubbing. The days have been foggy since then, I don't remember much from the club - actually, I don't remember anything. I panicked when I woke up but all my stuff was with me, and I was still wearing my clothes so I assumed that I may have checked myself in somehow.

Either way, it didn't matter as long as my father didn't find out. Leah and Isabelle didn't say anything, which is good for them too because he wouldn't be happy if he found out that they left me there - not that they've ever heard about something called girl code.

"Are you ready? We should head downstairs." Isabelle says, entering my room in a rush. I give her a quick nod before I grab my purse. Leah stands up from the bed and follows, they're both wearing matching silver dresses.

"I don't understand why you're so against marrying James, at least he isn't like.. ugly or something." Leah says, "I personally find him kind of hot." You can have him.
"Then why don't you marry him instead?" I say with a smile, they'd fit - both of them are missing one too many braincells.
"I could've had sex with him, but marriage is dragging it, he's not that hot." She answers.

I swallow a scoff and lead the rest of the way in silence until we're in the ballroom. I feel my hands get sweaty when I grab the doorhandle, the thought of being surrounded by all these people and having their eyes on me makes me want to run the opposite direction and never come back.

"Bella, ma magnifique fille." My father says, greeting me with a side hug as I enter the ballroom.
"Father." I smile, ignoring the eyes on me. I feel a set of eyes burning holes in my back, but I don't turn around to see where it's coming from - I'd rather ignore them till they're done.

My father looks at the man in front of me and laughs. He has blonde slicked back hair, blue eyes and a confident smile - something about him gives me the creeps.

"Sweetie, this is Landon, James' cousin and CEO of Rivers corporations." He throws me a glance at the last part as if he's telling me that he's important.
"If I knew my cousin was engaged to such a beautiful girl, I would've asked him to introduce me earlier." He says, showing off his pearly white teeth as he smiles.

"Don't let looks fool you, she's a beast on the inside." The familiar voice of Adrien booms in from behind, followed with a laugh to play it off as a joke.

I don't laugh because nothing Adrien says is remotely funny. He comes closer and I feel his hand on my bare back,

"You didn't dress like a hooker today, what happened? Did you wake up sick?" he whispers in my ear; I keep my fake smile plastered on as I lean in to whisper back.
"I woke up perfectly fine until I saw your face, now I think I might be getting sick." The smug smile on his face drops, he probably didn't expect that but we're in public, what is he going to do?

I look around and notice that James isn't here, of course he's late to his own engagement party. I'll take a wild guess and say that he's probably in a hotel room right now, hooking up with someone he paid to tolerate him. Or he's drunk on a yacht somewhere. The men of the underworld everyone, and then they ask why I don't want to get married.