Chapter 25

"Bella, table four is waiting on you!"
"I'm on it." I scoff, rolling my eyes as I rush over to the table with three annoyingly loud girls. I plaster on a fake smile, as I put the two salads and burger down on their table. They barely pay me any attention, as they're too indulged in their conversation about some cheater called Jake that dated two of them.

I turn around, ready to end my shift and get out of here until I lock eyes with my so called boss. Lara is three years older than me, but got promoted to manager in the diner months ago when the previous manager quit – shockingly.

"What?" I mouth, doing my best to not roll my eyes for the tenth time today. She points at the clock, showing me that there's still two more minutes of my shift. I mouth screw you, and watch her smile as she shakes her head before I turned around and plaster on a fake smile again.

"Can I get you something else?" I say, loudly so they can actually notice me. They finally turn around and look at me, they look rather annoyed that I ruined their conversation. They start looking at their food, and then glance at the menu again.

"Well, actually I do want some extra frie-"
"Enjoy your food." I cut off, the second I see the clock turn four.
"But-"
"Bye!" I chirp, turning around and heading to the counter as I take off the awful shirt with JANE'S DINER written all over it. I colored it pink, and that couldn't even save it from being ugly.

As I walk towards the counter, Lara scoffs at me seemingly disappointed.

"How long will it take for me to teach you how to properly do your job?" She huffs, fiddling with some paper.
"If you give me a raise, and pay me overtime maybe just maybe, I'll consider staying past my working hours." I answer, not slightly bothered.
"A raise? You've been working here for one month!"

I laugh, then a small feeling of sadness settles inside of me. One month. It's been one month and two weeks already. I wonder what he's doing right now, does he miss me? Or does he hate me right now? He probably hates me, and I deserve it.

Stop it Bella, you did the right thing. You deserve to be selfish. You wanted this, you wanted to be free, remember?

"And even if it were one year, you're still a shitty server" Lara snaps me out of my thoughts,
"Excuse you!" I gasp, "I am not."
"Yes. Yes you are girl."

I am, but to my defense I've never done anything like this before. Food was never my strongest side, and serving people was NOT a part of my plan. I always knew I would get away somehow, but I never thought any further than that. I knew I wanted to be my own person, but I didn't really think about how I was going to do that without money. So here I am.

I've been serving here for a month. After trying to find a job for one week, I finally got a yes here – it was almost too easy, but then again, it's a small diner and not exactly a five star job. It's a start though. I really wish I had a job that could pay for my nails though, I look like a damn caveman!

"I don't know what a girl like you is doing here." Lara mutters,
"I told you, my cat is sick and I need some money to pay for her treatments." I stick to the lie I made up when I first came her, not wanting anyone to know who I am or where I come from. I even thought about using another name, but I don't want to change my identity – I just want to be me, Bella. Just Bella, no last name.

Lara raises a brow, still not looking at me – "Don't think for a second I bought that story."
"You don't think I can own a cat?"
"I don't think a girl that walsed in here with 300 dollar nails, and a Birkin can't afford to pay for some treatments."

She turns around and looks at me, "let's not even start with the diamond necklace around your neck that I'm sure costs more than this entire diner." I raise my hand and touch the necklace I forgot was there, the gift. Bella Romero.

"You look good with my last name around you princess."
"You think so?"
"I know so."

I swallow down the tears forming into my eyes, as I take the necklace off.

"Ouch," Lara says. "Shitty ex boyfriend?"
A sad smile forms on my face, "I wish." Maybe if he really was shitty, this would have been easier and the pit in my stomach would've disappeared a long time ago.

Maybe everything would've been easier.

Two months earlier

"Sweetheart you look amazing." My mom sniffles, as she embraces me into a hug with a tear running down her cheek. "My baby is grown."
"Stop it mom! I'm getting married, not dying."

She lets out a small laugh, as she lets go. I look at the mirror while she stands behind me. The tight dress is hugging my curves, and even though I always thought this day would be the worst day in my life – I actually feel beautiful. I cant help the small smile forming on my face as I try to imagine Pablo right now, he's probably getting ready with Bruno and Luca.

"Ma Cherie?" My mom whispers, she's smiling but it's a sad smile. I can see it in her eyes.
"Yes mama?"
"I'm sorry I couldn't stop this from happening, I know you didn't want to get married, at least not now.." She pauses, looking away almost ashamed even though it isn't her fault.

I turn around and grab her hand, "I'm fine. I promise." I say, not entirely sure if I actually mean those words or not. "I mean, at least he's not ugly." I roll my eyes jokingly, causing a small laugh from her which is exactly what I needed to hear.

"He's going to make you happy." My mom smiles,
"I know" I whisper.

//
I'm still not done editing but I can't let you guys wait any longer!! I'm gonna make a new chap soon to tell you the small changes i've made in the story so far even though im not done yet. -Red💛