Chapter 9

Soft, warm and tastes like mint..

I kissed him, I panicked when I saw Leah and Isabelle.. and I kissed him. He froze, I could almost feel him kiss back for one second but he stopped and pulled back just as fast. Our eyes meet and he looks at me with an unreadable expression.

I look behind him and see both Isabelle and Leah sulking before they turn around and leave. It worked, that's what you get bitches.

My smile drops when I remove my eyes from the door and look at my fiancé. He looks slightly annoyed, like me kissing him was a burden. I'd like to say that when people look at me they see confidence, I've trained myself to not show any sign of self-consciousness but right here and now I must admit that the mask is slightly falling off.

"There was someone at the door, I just wanted them to go away-"
"Don't do that shit again, not unless you mean it." He says harshly, catching me off guard - I didn't know that a man of the underworld, especially one with his reputation would react that strongly to a small kiss.

He takes a step back and drags his jacket off of himself then he puts it around me without saying a word and buttons it.

"This doesn't come off the rest of the evening." He orders, I look at him and debate if I should talk back or not,
"Understood?"
"Fine." I mutter, the only reason I wont fight back now is because I just kissed him and by the looks of it - he didn't really enjoy it.

He looks away, "I'm going out to talk with the guests, I'll be expecting you by my side."
Before I can say anything, he storms out of the room. What is his issue? One minute he's on and the second he's off, I don't understand if he wants this engagement or not.

I scoff and make my way outside. When I see him talking to his parents, I decide to go out and get some fresh air - hoping he won't notice me sneaking out by the back door.

God, how can someone act like a gentleman one second and then a total ass the other? And then they wonder why I'm rude, at least I'm being totally honest, not like a damn puzzle.

When I'm out the door I get met by a cold breeze. I silently make my way further out, thankful that I have a jacket on, so I don't freeze to death.

I take a couple of steps ahead but stop when my eyes land on the body sitting down at the last step of the stairs, it's dark but the figure is big and manly. I can see the messy suit he has one. He has his elbows on his knees and is covering his face with his palms so I can't see who it is but I notice the cigarette between his fingers.

I go against all my instincts and decide to walk towards the man. It seems like he senses my presence but doesn't care enough to say anything which eliminates the thoughts of it being some kind of creep. By the looks of it, it seems like someone needed a little bit of fresh air too.

I take a seat next to him, but with good enough distance that I can turn around and run if he turns out to be a threat. Here I am, next to a stranger who won't acknowledge me in the back alley of my own engagement party where I just made a fool of myself. Twice.

"Do you have another one?" I ask, not caring that he's shown no interest to talk to me or even show his face. I've already embarrassed myself more than once today, to hell with it.

I've smoked three times before, and each time have been a secret that I'll take with me to the grave. If my father or my cousins saw the perfectly polished Bella Lyon even look at the direction of a cigarette, it would be the end of the damn world. At least their world.

He doesn't say anything, he drags out a packet of cigarettes and hands me one without looking at me. Then he passes me a lighter, still looking in the other direction. I notice the red spots on his knuckles right away but don't say anything just yet.