Chapter 20

"Such a shame you had to postpone the wedding."

I swallow down the urge to roll my eyes and put on a smile - "Yeah, shame."
This is the reason I didn't want to go out with Isabelle and Leah today, I knew they would throw some comment about it but of course my mother decided it would be a good time to go shopping.

The wedding is postponed, and oddly enough - it's not from our end. Pablo postponed it, I'm not sure why but I think it had to do with his work, something about urgent work in Mexico.

"So, he postponed it?" Leah asks, pressing the word he as if I'm not aware of it already.
"Yes. He did, he has a job you know - not every man relies on their daddy's trust fund money." I say, throwing a jab at the men Leah and Isabelle date.
"Hey! There's nothing wrong with a trust fund, I've already used a lot of mine." On purses and shoes.

We enter a new shop, and I think that maybe we're done with this conversation but nope, of course not.

"What work is more important than his own wedding though?" Isabelle questions, grabbing a green dress,
"Maybe he's changed his mind about the whole thing?"
"I wouldn't look past it, I mean - he is giving more than he's receiving." Leah adds.

I refrain from frowning as I grab a yellow skirt that caught my attention.
"What do you mean he's giving more than he's receiving?" I ask, with a slightly annoyed tone.
Leah lets out a sigh, "Well he is the Pablo Romero, he has connections with the entire underworld. He's one of the wealthiest businessmen, and his family has a lot of power."

In other words, why would he want you?

"So does ours." I try to defend,
"Not as much and that leads me to my point, his family is offering protection and power, what are they getting in return except marriage? He's still very young so I wouldn't be shocked if he backed out."

That's not entirely wrong. The only thing he's getting out of this is some work with our family business that he could have done with anyone.. and me to seal it.

Could it be true? Is he having second thoughts?

"Don't be sad sweetie, its just assumptions - he's probably not second guessing it. Why would he? Having a wife won't change a lot, it never does for these men."
"Where is he right now?" Isabelle asks, and this time I don't hide my frown.

He's at a meeting... I think. He's been at a lot of those lately, especially now that we're not having those little sleepovers anymore and I can't help but wonder, is he having them with someone else because I can't?

"He's at a meeting." I mutter, looking at the basket in my hand - I don't think I'm in any mood to shop anymore.
"Meeting? Again?" They look at each other, like they're communicating by looks and making it very obvious.
"I hope his secretary is above the age of 25 for your sake."

His secretary? I didn't think about that... He's been spending a lot of time at work lately.

Why do I even care? It's not like those kisses mean anything, it's just a stupid negotiation.

"He's actually twenty four, pretty nice guy named Albert - you should meet him some time." All of our eyes snap to the direction of the voice and land on Pablo. He's wearing a dark blue suit and looks as put together as he always does. What is he doing here? I thought he had to prepare for his leave to Mexico after the meeting.

"Oh, we didn't mean-"
"I'm sure you didn't." Pablo cuts off, smiling. They look at each other and gulp as he comes closer.

I look at him, unsure how to react now that we're in front of people. He walks towards me and before I can say anything, he slides his arm around me and kisses me - at first I'm taken back, we've never kissed in front of anyone before, barely Martin!