Chapter 31

"You don't have to follow me everywhere Martin!" I shake my head, walking out the bathroom of the café.
"Yes ma'am."

I roll my eyes and keep walking, knowing that he in fact will keep following my every step just like he had done from the moment we had gotten inside the helicopter.

Since then we've been to multiple places, and currently we're back in the city, I even got my own apartment.

I got what I wanted, Pablo let me go – granted that Martin would be with me until I figured out where I wanted to settle, and what I wanted to do I guess. He didn't say goodbye, I didn't see him after he left the beach. I went to his room, the door was locked – I'm not sure if he wasn't there or if he just didn't want to see me.

Martin kept his distance though, most of the time he tried to make it feel like he wasn't even there unless I talked to him or needed something. It's been... lonely. It was different when I had ran, maybe it was because of the people there or maybe it was because I had this feeling that something was coming. I don't have that feeling now though.

It's starting to get dark outside so I decide to go on one last stroll before we go back to the apartment building.

Grabbing the phone Martin gave me when we first left I swipe the screen open like I've done every five minutes since he gave me the phone. I'm not sure why though, there's only one number in it, and disappointinly enough its only Martin's.

I let out a sigh before putting the phone down and taking a seat in front of the dark water.

Martin tries to sit a couple of seats away before I give him a really? I know you're there look and pointing at the seat next to me.

He takes a seat and we sit there in silence.

"Are you enjoying your time so far miss?" Martin breaks the silence,
I clear my throat, "Yeah, I'm having lots of fun."
"Mhm." He answers, barely nodding his head.
I turn around and look at him with a blank stare, "What is it Martin?"
"Nothing miss."

I shake my head, even though Martin makes sure to keeps his distance we've spent everyday together and there's no formality or shyness here, I know he has something on his chest.

"Spit it out Martin." I say, barely any energy in my voice as I stare at the water.
"You say your happy miss, I haven't seen you smile since we enter helicopter. You don't look excited, only once when we went to build a bear and-"
"Stop, I don't need to hear more. I take it back."

Why can't a girl make a teddy bear? No one put age limit on them. I made the cutest bear ever, with a costumized prada shirt and the biggest cutest green eyes.

"Bear look very much like-"
"Shut it Martin."
"What was name again? Jua-"
"Zip it!"

I've seen more of the world these past days then I have my entire life. Martin has made sure I had everything I wanted. Though it made me happy to explore, to feel free. I had this feeling in my stomach, this weird feeling that feels like its sucking something from inside of me.

I've done everything to chase it away, I thought it would disappear when we got away from the island. I thought exploring, and seeing things would chase it away– even making Martin take caroussels with me and seeing the look of horror on his face didn't help.

Something just feels wrong.

I take a deep breath, knowing I can't ignore it forever – "How is he?"
"Boss?"
"No, my dead Grandpa Sebastian." I scoff. "Who else?"

I've been very easily irritated lately. Annoyed at everything, snappy and feeling like I want to punch something.

"You have phone, call him."
I look at Martin and give him a dirty look, "I don't have his number, and I asked you."
looking away, I say in a lower tone – "He wouldn't have answered either way."

Silence passes by, as the sound of the waves takes over.

"I'm not allowed to say much about boss miss, but I will say this because you need to hear." Martin starts, "I've worked for boss personally since he was eighteen. I've been the family chauffeur since he was kid, and I've never seen him look at anyone like he looks at you."
I swallow, and turn around – "Like what?"
"Like he found home."

"What do you see when you look at me?"
"I see you and me, us."
"Only us?"
"Only us."

I swallow down the lump in my throat, and blink away watery feeling creeping up my eyes.

"We should get going, it's getting dark." I say in a low voice, walking away.

( Song: I can't fall in love without you by Zara Larsson, this is a must! )

I close my eyes again, trying to sleep and failing just like I've done the past hours. Instead I keep on shuffling around in the bed, and look out the window at the city.

"I love the city but I've always wanted to live far away from it." Pablo says,
"Me too." I agree, "there's just something about being in a smaller area, it feels more-"
"Like home."
"Yes." I smile.

It doesn't feel like home here.

"You didn't even react to my perfume! I sprayed it all over me and you pushed me away when we were in the car, I almost thought you were gay for a moment there."
"I had a fucking hard on Bella," Pablo shakes his head amused by the fact that I didn't notice that when I made up an entire plan to seduce him, "I had to tell fucking Martin to get out the car the second we dropped you off."

"Poor Martin.."
"Yeah, poor Martin."

We both look at each other then burst out laughing. Poor Martin.

A smile tugs on my lips before I can control it, but the smile disappears fast when I snap back to reality. Instead tears form in my eyes as I realize.

""Damn it!" Pablo's voice echoes from the kitchen, making me go downstairs.
"What?" I ask, my eyes landing at the open cabinet and his hand on his forehead.
"Nothing.." He mutters, shutting it.

I start laughing, "Did you really hit yourself like a child?"
"It's not funny, it actually hurts." He scoffs, grabbing me and placing me in his lap. "You know what they say right?"
"What?"
"A kiss always makes it hurt less."

I roll my eyes and give him a small push, but cave fast enough and end up placing a soft kiss on his forehead where he hurt himself. I look at him and he's already looking at me with a big childlike smile.

"What?"
"I love when you do that."

Before I can stop it, the taste of salty tears reach my lips as the one thing I've been running from finally catches up to me. Quickly and direct like a storm.

I got my freedom. I got to decide for myself. I got to travel to wherever I want. No one to make decisions for me, no one to stop me or tell me what to do.

I should be on top of the world, I was finally free – yet it felt like I was in an even smaller cage. I thought I wanted this, I really did. I hurt Pablo to get it, and a part of me still thinks I want it but there's a bigger, stronger side that's craving something way more.

"Like what?"
"Like he found home."

I can't do this.

I need Pablo – I want Pablo, because Pablo has become my home. I see me and him, see us.

Jumping out of the bed I rush to Martin's apartment and knock on the door like there's no tomorrow, and barely a second passes by before Martin opens up – fully dressed. Does this man not sleep?

I look at him with a confused expression for a second but I quickly go back to what I came here for, "I can't do this Martin, we have to go back. I have to see Pablo."
Martin opens the door further, revealing the suitcase – "I'm ready miss."

A small laugh escapes my lips, "You knew!"
If I wasn't so tired I would almost say that I'm hallucinating a smile on Martins face – "I always know miss. Plane is ready."

I give him a nod.

We're going home.

//
🤭 -Red