Chapter 7: Confidence Leaves you on your Own

You had the Dragon Sword for a few weeks now, and felt amazing. It almost seemed like the sword augmented your abilities. It didn't, of course, but confidence isn't always a bad thing, and for you it just made you better. Even Cassandra kept mentioning you being extra happy all the time.

You were a full-fledged member of the member of the Dragon Clan now, which means there were missions to undertake. You, Cassandra, and Roy were usually the squad you took part in. Even as a true member of the clan, a master generally accompanied members on their missions.

Some things have changed in these few weeks. Not long after you were granted the sword, the Grand Master stepped down. He resigned to being the advisor to his successor, which ended up being your old Master. Everyone could see that coming from a mile away, as he was the best out of everyone.

Another thing threw you off. Nobody wanted to talk about the graduation course you went through. Everyone kept it a secret from you, which annoyed you. Not Roy, Cassandra, The Grand Master or the Master would tell you. Even Zander kept his mouth shut. You assumed something had to go right, as you received the sword afterwards.

You are sitting with the old Grand Master near a fire. It is early in the morning and the sun hasn't risen yet.

"You know, I am no longer the grand master. Why do you still call me that?" He asked, taking a sip of his tea.

You shrug. "I'm not sure. It's just what I know. You're the Grand Master and the Master is the Master. I don't want to change that."

"Change happens in life, (Y/N). You can't be stuck in the past forever."

You continue to look at the fire, captivated in its existence.

"I know."

The Grand Master takes another sip of his tea.

"So you have a mission today. Why aren't you resting?"

"Nightmares," you answer. "I keep having this weird dream about a dragon. He is chasing me and I can't beat him. I think he is trying to talk but it sounds like gibberish to me."

The Grand Master sighs. He knows what these dreams mean, and knew they would show up eventually. You look at him.

"Is this a side effect of the Dragon Sword?"

"No, it isn't," he says, shaking his head.

You let out a melodramatic sigh and fall on your back. The Grand Master chuckles.

"Why won't anyone tell me about graduation day? What happened?"

"Nothing happened that day."

You give a cross look at the Grand Master then walk away.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm gonna find Roy. He should be in the study, like always."

You walk to the study to find Roy. The room is filled with books and scrolls. It puts most other book collections to shame. You came in here on occasion to research a specific town or someone's lineage, but preferred to train your mind in other ways.

Roy has been in here constantly for some time. Nobody knows why, as he thoroughly cleans up all traces of what he was doing. Nobody knew what books he was reading, or subject he was researching.