Chapter 15 "Realization" (Edited)

Luke

I drummed my fingers against my lap, feeling a little impatient as I waited for his dad to go on his way. I had been hiding behind the kitchen island counter for a couple of minutes now, trying to distract myself from listening to them as I knew it was a private matter, even if all her dad could talk about was just his trip to some place where he bumped into a woman whom he couldn't stop thinking of.

"So, how are things between you and Michael? I heard he dropped by here." My ears tingled as Mr. Forbes mentioned that guy's name, and for some reason, I was interested to hear what Rhel had to say.

"I don't know. Okay, I guess. We didn't talk much." And what they were going to talk about? Frankly, I was getting curious as to who was Michael in Rhel's life, because seeing how they looked at each other, made me think that whatever was between them, it goes way back.

"Have you ever thought of giving him a second chance?"

Second chance? Did that mean Rhel and Michael were together?... But how could she said Michael was just her friend? Could it be that she was lying at that time? Just thinking about the possibility that Michael was her boyfriend somewhat angered me.

"What he did was unforgivable, dad...I don't think I could give him a second chance."

"Alright darling, I understand. But remember this, whatever your decisions may be, I will always be there to support you."

"Thanks dad. I love you so much."

"I love you too darling." I smiled just hearing them. "I guess I have to go now. I still have to visit your sister," he added making me sigh in relief knowing that I would finally stop hiding.

When I heard their goodbyes, followed by the sound of a closing door, I pulled myself up and strode to the living room where I saw Rhel standing by the closed door, her back was facing me. I walked to her and saw her shoulders heaved as she took a deep breath. I stopped in arms-length, I could smell her faint scent I had grown accustomed with.

As if sensing my presence behind her, she turned to face me, briefly catching her off guard, but she immediately recovered and crossed her arms.

"What?" she queried.

"You and Michael...were you together?" I asked directly, not wanting to beat around the bush. You could say I was desperate to know their history, even if I had no right to question her.

She raised a brow, "What? Why are you asking me that all of a sudden?"

I sighed, "I just want to know the truth Rhel. Just a simple yes or no... Were you two together?" I repeated. My heart had started pounding as I waited for her answer. I knew it wasn't my place to ask her, but I was getting desperate, I couldn't contain my curiosity any longer.

She looked away and sighed, a distant look was written on her face. I held her shoulders and gave it a little squeeze, until she looked back at me again.

"Do you really want to know?" she hissed, and I nodded in response, "He wasn't just my boyfriend, he was my fiancé." I took a step back as I was taken aback at her confession. Sure, I got the feeling that they were more than friends, but I wasn't prepared about the fact that they were once engaged. I felt bad for asking her, at the same time, surprised at the truth. "You happy?" she added. As I looked at her eyes, I noticed they were rimmed with tears.

"I'm sorry. I-I didn't know," I mumbled apologetically.

"Of course, you just had to ask...because you couldn't take no for an answer. Even if it was obvious that I didn't want to talk about it... Now that you know, are you happy?" she asked as she swiftly wiped a single tear.

I slowly shook my head, "No...I'm sorry Rhel. I shouldn't have pushed you."

"Why are you doing this Luke?...Why can't you just leave me be?" she cried. I felt like my heart tore apart as I watched her crying, making it obvious she was still hurting. Couldn't stand it, I held her wrist and pulled her to me, giving her a hug. I didn't know how she would react, but she definitely needed a hug, even if it was from me whom she despised.

"You'll be okay, Rhel!" I mumbled, rubbing her back at the same time. I felt her gently pushed me by my chest so she could look at me. Her searching eyes were gazing at mine as I wiped the shed tears from the side of her eyes.

"Luke..." she murmured.

"You don't have to cry anymore Rhel. I'm here." As I gazed at her, I suddenly realized something. What I was feeling since I first saw her, was more than just a like. I might be in love with her. Sure, I didn't know what it would be like to love someone as I hadn't experienced it to any woman, but my feelings for her...it could be love, probably a love at first sight, and it took some time before I realized it.

"Luke?" she asked, confused, making me realize just how close our faces were. My gaze travelled down to her lips and an urge to kiss her had arose. Slowly, I leaned in and kissed her. The thought of her resisting me had disappeared when I saw her closed her eyes. My heart fluttered in pleasure as I kissed her passionately. She tasted so sweet, nothing could have prepared me for this, it was enough to send my mind to overdrive.

I felt her hand moved up on my back until it rested on the back of my head, tangling her fingers to my hair. When I felt like she had no intention of stopping me, I forced my tongue inside her mouth, which she gladly accepted, and deepened the kiss...But sometimes all good things must come to an end when my phone suddenly rang.

I groaned when she broke the kiss, "You should answer that," she said urgently as she fixed her hair and looked away. Sighing, I nodded and fetched my phone from my pants' pocket, before walking out of earshot, and answered the call.

"I'm sorry to disturb you Mr. Lacela..." Sarah's familiar voice echoed on the other end, "...but Mr. Morgan is here in the office and he wants to see you."

"Great. Just great," I mumbled sarcastically, shaking my head.

"Come again, Mr. Lacela?"

"Nothing. Just tell him I'll be there in an hour." I hung up the call and walked back to Rhel. She was now sitting on the couch with Alex Kane in her arms.

"Um, I have to go Rhel. Duty calls."

"Yeah, okay," she said as she put Alex down and stood up. She walked me towards the door, and when we stopped in the doorway, I turned to her.

"Um...will you be okay?" I asked.

She smiled, "Yes, I'll be fine, Luke. Thank you," she answered.

I nodded while smiling, "I'll see you," I said and admired her for a moment before turning my back to her. I'll definitely see you, Rhel.