Chapter 36 "Priceless Gift"

Luke P.O.V

I wrapped my arm around her waist when I heard her sniffing. I snuggled closer to her until I could smell the sweet scent of her hair. Even though her back was facing me, I could tell she was crying. Her hand moved to her face, wiping the tears that escaped from her eyes. Hearing her sobbing for few nights tore my heart out. 

"I'm sorry I woke you up,'' she said. Her voice laced with loneliness.

"It's fine baby. I know it's hard, but I want you to know that you don't have to go through that sadness alone, you can always share it with me...,'' I kissed the back of her head, ''...I'll always be here with you." She turned her back and faced me. I stroked her cheek and she smiled, closing her eyes, feeling every stroke of my thumb. Her beautiful eyes were now red and puffy, the bags under her eyes were clearly visible.

"I love you so much,'' she murmured.

"And I love you!'' I kissed her forehead. She snuggled closer to me, burying her face on my neck. "Get some sleep now baby.''

I stayed awake for the whole night thinking about the night Rhel called me. When she called me four nights ago, I felt like my heart would come out of my chest. She was sobbing on the other end and couldn't even speak properly. I felt frozen on the spot listening to her, thinking that something bad happened to her. When I got to her house, I saw the box on her bed and that's when I knew the reason. She was sitting on the cold floor, rocking her body while crying. It hurt me so much seeing her like that. The police were investigating the case and apparently we still have no lead of whoever did that horrible thing. But for me, there's only one person in mind who could pull something like that. Until we catch the intruder, I asked her to stay at her father's house but she insisted to be with me. I was reluctant at first but gave in, given the circumstance that I could take care of her.

I fluttered my eyes open as the sun rays passed through the thin curtains. I felt an arm around my waist and a little movement behind me. I smiled when her breath tickled the back of my neck. I hated to leave the bed but I had to so I tried untangling her arm on my waist. 

"Stay,'' she muttered groggily. I turned my back from her. I brushed a strand of her hair from her forehead and caressed her cheek. Her eyes looked so beautiful even if they were close, long eyelashes covering them.

"You know I want to, but I can't,'' I whispered.

"Please,'' she said, eyes still close.

"I'll tell you what, I'll try to finish my work earlier and be home at lunch. How's that sounds?"

She opened her eyes and pouted. "Okay,'' she said.

I held her chin between my fingers. "Smile for me, please?" Her lips stretched upward flashing me her radiant smile. 

Oh how I love to wake up every morning seeing her beautiful smile! 

I kissed her forehead, then to her cheek, then after to the tip of her nose and finally to her soft lips before I got off the bed and tucked the duvet up to her shoulders. I went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. After spending an hour changing, I went to the kitchen to cook breakfast for the both of us. I've been acting a husband already, cooking her breakfast and sometimes dinner whenever I got home early. And frankly, I love the feels. 

After I was done, I put the food on the tray and brought it to my bedroom. She was still sleeping and I hate to wake her up from her peaceful slumber but I had to or else the food will get cold. I placed the tray on the bed and sat on the edge of the bed. 

"Rhel, baby, breakfast's ready!'' I said, shaking her lightly. She groaned and tried to pull the duvet up to cover her face but I stopped her.

"Uh-uh. Come on get up, I'll feed you."