Chapter 42 "Sick Truth"

Luke P.O.V

"We need to talk!" Worry flashed in her feature as she took in my serious expression. She nodded, her forehead furrowed as though she was thinking about something. I took a deep breath before letting it all out. "I know it's not a good time, but I think we should talk about our wedding." Her mouth formed an 'o' when it hit her. "It's less than a month,...'' I continued, "and I know that everything that's been happening right now is just too much for you but I want you to know," I walked towards her and held her hands, "whatever your decision is...I'm here to support you."

Her feature had gone soft while rubbing her thumbs against my skin. She averted her gaze and looked down. She pulled her hands and started pacing. I let her as I sighed before sitting down at the couch. I burrowed my head on my hands patiently waiting for what she has to say. I admit, everything was kind of disappointing. I mean, why it has to be now? When everything was settled. Rhel didn't deserve any of this. She deserved a happy life without worrying about bad things that might happen. And I'm willing to give her that happy life.  Whatever her decision about this wedding, I'll always be there to support her.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard her called my name. She sat beside me and held my hand, enveloping it with her warmth. I looked at her and met her gaze. Her face lightened up as she dragged her hand up to my cheek, cupping it. 

"Whatever happens, I won't let anything get in our way. I can't let this things ruin our happiness. I won't let Allison get in between us. The wedding is still on." My heart fluttered as if a heavy weight has been lifted on my chest. She never failed to amaze me.

"Are you sure about this?"

"A hundred and one percent sure." I chuckled and hugged her tight and then kissed her forehead.

"I love you Mrs. Lacela."

"Hmmm, that sounded nice. I love you too Mr. Lacela."

***

"Everything's ready for the wedding. I can't believe it will be on Saturday,'' she chirped on the other line. A week had passed since Rhel and I had our talk about the wedding. Since then we continued with the unfinished business without minding the possibilities of Allison sabotaging everything. Apparently, Allison was still on the loose and the authorities were still looking for her. I tried to call Daryl to know if he has been in contact with her daughter but unfortunately he didn't know her whereabouts. But I had to find out if he was telling the truth that's why I'm currently driving to his house so I could talk to him personally.

"Yeah, Saturday it is. Four more days and you're officially Mrs. Lacela."

"I'm kind of nervous and excited at the same time. Is this normal?,'' she asked chuckling. 

I smiled knowing that I felt the same way. "I don't know for sure but you're not the only who's having trouble." 

"Then I say it's normal." I nodded even though she couldn't see me. 

I pulled up on Daryl's driveway and killed the engine. "I have to go baby. I'll call you later?" I asked while unbuckling my seatbelt. 

"Okay. Don't forget our dinner later."

"I won't. Love you babe."

"Love you too." 

I ended the call and got out the car. I sighed before walking towards the door. After three rings, I heard the unlocking sounds behind the door. Daryl poked his head first before opening the door wide enough to see his whole form. His graying hair was disheveled, lines were visible on his forehead and there were bags under his eyes. He looked ten times older within just few weeks.

"I didn't expect you to be here," he said uninterested. 

"I need to talk to you personally about Allison, if you don't mind."

"Of course not. Come in." He gestured for me to come in. I nodded once and made my way inside. I looked around and for the second time, the intricate designs never failed to amaze me. I sat down on the black leather couch. 

"Can I offer you a drink?"

"No, it's okay. I won't be here for long." He nodded before he took his seat on the couch across me. He took his cup of coffee and sipped it. "Did Allison tried to contact you?", I asked not beating around the bush. 

He put down the cup on its saucer at the table and then looked straight to my eyes. I clenched my jaw, intimidated by his intense gaze. 

"She did. That night, after Marks was rescued...she called me. She sounded hysterical that I didn't understand what she was saying, so I ended the call, thinking that she was drunk or something. Until that morning when I found out in the news that she is wanted by the police. I tried to call her back but it went straight to her voicemail."

"Did you tell the police about this."

"Yeah, I did. I told them everything." His face was serious, I can't find any hint of emotions in his feature but his eyes said it all. He was hiding the sadness and frustration in there.

''I'm sorry for asking you questions Daryl. This must be hard for you."

"Luke, the thing is, I don't know my daughter anymore...", my forehead creased in confusion. I didn't expect him to say that thing. "She has become a new person since she came back here. She...she became aggressive and always in a foul mood. Whatever happened to her back there, it changed her and I didn't like even a tiniest bit of that change."

"Why would she went away in the first place?" Daryl averted my gaze and shifted his focus to his cup on the table. Whatever the reason was, he didn't like to talk about it. "Daryl?"

"I sent her away because it will help her fully recover." My eyebrow instantly shot up. He could be vague sometimes.

"Recover from what?"

He sighed and stared at me. "My daughter has a psychological disorder." My jaw dropped at his sudden revelation. Allison was sick? "I sent her to a mental institution for her treatment. After four months she got out as she was doing pretty well and as her doctor suggested, living in a new environment, free from what caused her illness will help her recover."

I slowly leaned my back on the back rest. The information was just too much to take in and all I could do was to shake my head to let it all sink.

"Apparently, it didn't help her instead it made her worse," he said calmly as he took a sip from his cup of coffee.  

"How come y-you never talk about her?"

"That is because I don't mix my personal life into my business."

"I-I didn't know Daryl. I shouldn't have asked about daughter. I'm sorry."

"It's alright Luke. I should be the one apologizing for my daughter's behavior. If there's anything I can do to help you I will."

"Thank you Daryl. It means a lot." I stood up and fixed my coat. "I should go. Thank you again for  your time and...for telling me about your daughter."

"No problem son. I'll walk you to the door." I nodded before walking towards the door, Daryl tailing behind. As soon as I got out, I was greeted by the blinding light of the sun. Halfway to my car, I stopped my track when he called me.

"If you ever find my daughter...will you let me know?" His tone was hinted with concern. I turned my back, "I will." His mouth twitched into a small smile and I returned the gesture. After that I got in my car and glanced at the closed door before maneuvering out his driveway.

Well, that was unexpected, right? Up next is the wedding. You know what will happen on the next chapter, so stay tuned..

Lovelots...XOXO!!