Chapter 31 "Proposal"

Luke P.O.V

A week since Rhel woke up, she was discharged from the hospital. Dr. Beckett said Rhel has recovered from the accident, faster than she thought. The doctor just gave her medicines and some advices on what to do so that she will completely recover. I, on the other hand, has been in and out of her house since she was discharged to take care of her. Even though, I was tired from work, I still went straight to her house to check up on her. 

William and I let the police investigated Rhel's accident. We found out that the brakes was intentionally cut before she drove her way to my office. William told me to keep it as our secret for now since we didn't have any clues as to why and who would do something like this. He said that if Rhel would know about this, it will hinder her full recovery. It didn't feel right to keep a secret from Rhel but this was for her own good.

Several months had passed and I still keep doing my routine at her house. Sometimes, if I don't have much work, I cooked her meals, feed her and Mr. Kane, or even drive her to wherever she wanted to go. It's tiring in my part, but I wanted to be there for her all the time, to keep her safe. I know, I'm acting like her husband already and trust me, we'll get there soon. 

So many nights when I sleep in her house because I was tired or I just wanted to be by her side when she sleeps. There was a time when she asked me to stop what I was doing and take care of myself. But how could I stop when I'm loving what I was doing and how could I stop when I was too afraid to experience what I experienced when she got into an accident. That night, when I heard the loud crash on the other end of the phone, I felt frozen on the spot. It was cold, all over my body. It took me a minute after I managed to ran towards my car and drove to where she was. And just watching her unconscious in the hospital bed was hell for me. Bad thoughts kept crashing on my mind. What if the accident was so bad? What if she wouldn't wake up? What if she won't make it? All the what if's dreaded me for those three agonizing days. 

One night she asked me an unexpected question that caught me off guard. We were in her bed, my arms were wrapped around her while her head was resting on my chest. Her thumb was playing circles on my torso. After a moment of silence, she spoke up.

"Can I ask you a question?", she began.

"Yeah, sure baby, anything."

"What if...what if I didn't make it...?", she asked slowly. I groaned, not wanting to her what she was about to say but i didn't stop her. "What if I died on that accident? What will you do?" I exhaled deeply. What will I do? For me, that was a difficult question that I don't even have an answer or rather, I don't know how to answer. It took a moment for me to think before I spoke up.

"The truth is...I don't know. I don't know what I'll do if you leave me. So, don't think about leaving me, okay?"

"I won't. Not yet."

"Don't say that...", I interjected. "Promise me you won't leave me, ever." She smiled and looked up. We stared into each other's eyes. She touched my cheek with her bare hand and rubbed her thumb playfully.

"Okay, I won't. I promise, big boss. And you...", she pecked my nose with her index finger,"...sir, don't think about leaving me also."

"Okay, I promise."

"Good!", she said. "We will always be together, make a family, have lots of children and live happily ever after." I chuckled.

"Sounds like a fairytale huh!", she nodded while smiling. She leaned forward kissing my nose, then to my forehead, then to my cheeks and finally on my lips. 

Family. A strange word for me but sounded good in my ears when she said it. Never thought that this day would come that I would fall in love with a woman and would like to have a family with her. I thought it was impossible but I was wrong. Life's really full of surprises.