Chapter 39 "Knocked Out"

Rhel P.O.V

"Do you think he's angry?" Amber whispered, leaning a little close to my side.

"I think so.''

"Oh look at his face.''

"Definitely angry,'' I confirmed. 

Michael stared at us with his piercing eyes as we stood a little distant from him. His muscles bulged as his arms crossed against his chest, jaw clenching. 

"Why were you following me? I could have hurt you two,'' he said with concern.

"Shouldn't we be angry rather than him?'' Amber asked without bothering to answer him. I elbowed her side and shushed her. I looked at him and noticed his gaze wavered a little. The three of us stood in the alley with silence surrounding us and only the cool whispers of the cold wind of early night could be heard.

Michael rolled his eyes before sighing in defeat. "Okay! Why were you two following me? Amber?''

"Why are you here? You're supposed to be in New York!'' Amber retorted.

"Don't answer my question with a question little sister.''

"Don't little sister me! I hate you right now.''

"Don't be so childish. What you did was dangerous. I'm just concerned for both of you,'' his eyes flickered to mine.

"I know. We are just curious that's all. Care to explain to us what you're doing here?''

He narrowed his eyes before shaking his head, a small smile appeared on his lips. "Fine. I'll tell you later okay? But first, don't you want to give your big brother a hug? I miss you!'' he said stretching his arms wide.

"Fine. Explanations later,'' she said before walking towards her brother. I smiled looking at them how close they were. Michael caught my gaze and I shifted uncomfortably. Since we got in here, he never really paid attention to me as if I never existed. They pulled away from each other and then he slowly walked towards me. I watched as he got near and took a deep breath. He stood tall in front of me, looking down, meeting my gaze.

"I missed you Rhel"

I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. "I missed you too,'' I murmured near his ears. His hug was so warm that I forgot for a moment the coldness of the night. Neither of us wanted to break apart. I guess I missed him that much!

"Come on guys, it's getting cold out here,'' Amber hollered behind. I pulled away first and awkward flashed a smile at him. He nodded once before turning his head to his sister.

"Let's get out of here and go to my apartment.''

I gave Michael a final glance before walking to Amber's car. Once we're inside, she maneuvered out the alley, making a way for Michael's car. When we're back in the street, she wasted no time and tailed behind his car.

We reached the apartment he was staying in. Once we're inside the building, we followed him to where his room was. 

"How long have you been staying here?'' I asked looking around his room. He turned his head to the side, acknowledging my question, his back facing us. 

"Months,'' he replied. His answer was vague but I decided not to push the matter. Amber quickly jumped to the plush couch and laid down, her hands raised above head, probably stretching. I looked at Michael and noticed his smile. He then went to the kitchen and I sat on the crouch across Amber. She sat up before sighing, her hair flailing to her side.

''This makes me want to live alone.''

"You can, can't you?''

''Yeah but I can't for now.''