Chapter 47 "A Guy In A Hood"

Tom

It hurts when you lose someone. Just knowing that someone would be gone forever. But what hurts the most is when you lose someone unexpectedly. The sudden lost is more painful than what is expected. One day, you are happy living the moment, then the next day, that happiness is replaced with grief and devastation. So sudden, that you're not prepared for the reality.

Two years ago, Rhel's death was so sudden that we didn't know what to do, how to accept the reality that she was gone. Even though we didn't know each other very well, she made an impact to my life. Hell, I couldn't imagine the pain of the people who loved and cared for her. I had watched as the world crumbled in front of their eyes as she was slowly brought down to her grave. Even the skies couldn't stop pouring their tears. It was heartbreaking. Amber, Michael, Megan and her father, Mr. and Mrs. Lacela, they all looked miserable. At that time, I wished I hadn't seen them grieving like that. It was just so painful, I couldn't stand it but I thought about Amber and how she needed me most. But my attention shifted to my bestfriend Luke. I was more worried with him. He was emotionless, staring blankly at the coffin. He didn't even cry. He just stood rooted in his place under the pouring rain. He was already numb, I could tell.

Since the burial, since that day, no one ever saw Luke. He completely vanished without a trace. He didn't want to be found. We did everything we could to find him and for two years such luck still wasn't on our side. I could see in the eyes of his parents, they were losing hope. But not me. I wouldn't stop until I find him. Finding him was the least I could do for Rhel. I knew Luke didn't want us to find him but I had to. I had to know if he was doing okay. I had to know if he was still alive. I had to know if he was still living his life like what he promised to his late wife. I just had to know.

"It's been two years since the disappearance of the successful businessman and the young CEO, Luke Lacela and still, he is nowhere to be found..." I snapped out of my reverie and tuned up the tv's volume. "His family has been looking for him since then and up until now there's still no such luck of finding him. Sources have said that the family was losing hope and just this morning, they unexpectedly called off the search team..."

"What?" My jaw has been dropped to the floor after I heard the sudden news. This was not happening. They had already given up. They couldn't just do that. It was their son they were looking for. As much as their move was disappointing, I couldn't really blame them, they didn't want to live on false hope anymore. They were getting older and they were hurting.

Shaking my head, I sighed in defeat and slumped back to my seat. This news just gave me a sudden headache. I knew they were hopeless but I never thought this would happen so soon. Rubbing my temples while I propped my elbows on the table, I steady my breath. No use getting all so worked up. I just had to keep going on.

Not so long after, I heard a soft knock on the door. I looked up and saw Amber peered in. I smiled and walked around the table to kissed her halfway. Just seeing her lightened up my mood. 

"What's wrong? You seemed stressed." I led her to the leather couch and we sat there, holding each other hands.

"His family has already given up. I didn't expect it would be too soon."

"You're not thinking of giving up too, are you?"

I immediately shook my head. "No. I won't give up on Luke. I know I'll find him someday. I'll just have to keep hoping."

"That's one thing I love about you. You don't give up to the people you cared about." I smiled and kissed her softly.

"And what other things you love about me?", I teased.

"Hmmm..." her forehead wrinkled as if she was thinking, "well, you look devilishly handsome and you love me."

"Couldn't agree more."