Chapter 57 "A Little Fantasy"

Claire

Feeling the softness surrounding me, I comfortably shifted to my side, not knowing I was already on the edge of the bed, making me fall with a thud to the floor. Rubbing the back of my head, I grudgingly sat up and groaned. My hand flew to my forehead near my temple and touched the small bandage in it. By now, my head was starting to ache and bits of the events that happened last night came flooding in. I hoisted myself up and sat at the edge of the bed when the door flew open and came in Luke with a worried expression.

"Are you okay? I heard something fell coming from here." I nodded shyly and forced a smile on his way. I couldn't really tell him that I was the one who fell off the bed. That would be embarrassing. 

He scanned around the room as if checking then his gaze landed back to me. "Um, breakfast's ready so if you're hungry, you know, you can join me," he said sheepishly.

"Yeah, I'll come out in a bit." He nodded with a smile before closing the door. My eyes darted across the room and I was astonished that it was pretty neat. All the things were in order, nothing was amiss. I must say, he was really organized. But what caught my attention the most was the large portrait on the wall, just above the bed's headrest. Luke was in a suit and his wife Rhel in her wedding dress looking so happy facing the camera while being wrapped in each other's arms. My lips curled up into a smile thinking that for once, Luke experienced such happiness even if it was just for a short time.

"Claire breakfast is served," Luke hollered. Staring at the portrait for a minute, I then turned towards the door. I found Luke sipping his cup of coffee before sitting down. 

"Oh hey, come on, you must be starving."

I slowly sat down opposite to him and when I took in the food in front of me, my stomach growled loudly. I bit my lip in embarrassment while he was chuckling, I could feel the heat creeping up to my cheeks.

"And yeah that confirms you're starving."

"Y-Yeah," I replied. I slowly picked up the spoon and fork and started digging up the food in front of me.

"How's your head?"

"It hurts a little but nothing I can't handle."

"That's good to know!" he said smiling.

After we finished our breakfast, Luke left me alone for a while to buy some groceries. Ofcourse I was reluctant at first since it didn't feel right to leave me alone in his home. I mean we didn't know each other that much, and you couldn't just leave your house to someone you barely know right? But was it possible that he trusted me?

After exploring inside the cabin, I went outside to get some fresh air. My heart skipped a beat when I laid eyes on the lake. It was the most magical thing I ever saw. The lake shimmered beautifully as the sun shone its light on the surface. I wished I brought my camera with me to capture this breathtaking view.

I sat down under the shade of the tree and leaned back on its trunk, taking in the view for a while. I tilted back my head and closed my eyes, feeling the soft breeze touching my skin. It was so calm and peaceful, I could just live here forever. I stayed in my position for a couple of minutes until I fell asleep.

I felt I would pass out as my heart was pounding hard against my chest. My palms were getting clammy and cold. This was it. The moment I had been waiting for. But why did I feel so nervous? Taking deep breaths, I straightened myself and focused my gaze on the huge brown door. 

"Don't be nervous sweetie, I'm here," I smiled at my dad while hooking my arm on his. I felt a little calm with him by my side. 

The door opened and I could clearly hear the soft music playing in the background. Everything was perfect. I smiled while walking down the red carpet and looking at the familiar faces I knew. But my smile faltered and a single tear escaped my eye when I saw my soon-to-be husband. He was the most gorgeous man I ever laid eyes on and now I was going to marry him.