Chapter 61 "Heartache"

Claire

Straightening the tiny wrinkles on my red dress, I felt a warm hand over my shoulder and I looked over to my dad who smiled in reassurance as he squeezed my shoulder. Somehow his little gesture eased my nervousness a bit. When the car slowed to a steady hum, I let out a deep breath to gather myself up. No matter how many times I told myself not to be nervous about this night, it wasn't that helpful afterall.

Even if I kinda looking forward for this night, I was also dreading it since tonight, everyone would know about me, paparazzis and media were here to cover the engagement party of Tom and Amber. And it wasn't all, as tonight would be the night I would confess what I was feeling for Luke. It has been long enough for me to hide my feelings for him and I was never one to bottle up any feelings for someone too long.

The driver rounded to dad's side to open the door for him. Dad nodded and smiled before getting out of the car. Taking deep breaths, I mustered up my courage before the driver opened the door for me and bright flashes of the cameras instantly blinded me. I heard gasps on the crowd when I fully got out of the car while my eyes were adjusting to the scene. I felt a hand snaked around my waist and found dad standing beside me. He guided me to the entrance of the grandeur house. I was thankful for the bodyguards who didn't let the paparazzis got to us as entered the house.

Soft music filled my ears as I nervously scanned the room, hoping to find some familiar faces, although it wasn't that possible since I didn't know anyone in here, aside from dad of course.

"Are you feeling alright?" dad asked sincerely. I nodded and grabbed a glass of champagne from the passing waiter. I chugged down the content immediately to calm my nerves. "You're gonna be fine, I won't leave your side," 

I smiled, "Thanks Dad,"

"Come on, let's meet Tom and Amber. I bet they would be surprised to see you,"

"Oh not Tom. I already met him back in my town,"

We walked further the room and it didn't take long for us to find who we were looking for. Their backs were facing onto us while they were talking to the other guests. Dad cleared his throat when we stood behind them. Tom turned to us first and his surprised look greeted me. 

"R-Rhe- Claire!,"  Amber heard Tom's surprised voice and immediately turned to face us. 

"Oh my God," she mumbled, her eyes started to gleam with unshed tears. She then engulfed me into a hug while I was startled at the sudden action. She sobbed on my chest and I looked at Tom with raised brows silently asking him what to do. Amber may be Rhel's bestriend but she wasn't mine so I was hesitant to do something. Thankfully she pulled away, wiping the stains of tears on her cheeks.

"Gosh this is so embarrassing. I'm sorry Claire, I just...seeing you for the first time, gosh, you remind me of Rhel. I'm so sorry I hugged you all of a sudden," she stammered while sheepishly rubbing her palms together.

"I-It's fine. Um, congratulations by the way, on your engagement." The two thanked me and since that we talked for a while. It was nice to finally meet Rhel's bestfriend, I would have met her sooner but she was away with Tom. She was funny and she joked a lot and just like Kelly, she was easy to get along with. And her laugh, goodness it was contagious. No wonder she and Rhel got along pretty well, opposites do attract, Rhel was serious as they say while Amber was cheerful, she could light up the whole room.

After our short interesting talk, Amber and I excused ourselves so she could introduce me to few of her friends from college. I was glad that she suggested it since I didn't know anyone in the party and I thought it was time to make some new acquiantances. She introduced me to two of her friends, Ashley and Carol. Although they seemed easy to get along, I just wasn't comfortable talking to them for long, so I had to excuse myself to get some fresh air and perhaps find Luke. On my way, I bumped onto someones broad chest. Looking up, I squinted my eyes to make out the man who I just bumped into. By the look of his shocked face, I could say he probably recognized who I was.