Chapter 35 "Private Eye"

Unknown P.O.V

I watched as the man named Jacob settled himself at the passenger seat of the blonde woman's car. The blaring engine of the car cracked through the silent cold night as they zoomed off to the road. I puffed an air of smoke through the thin air and shivered as the wind blew a cooling sensation to my body, made me tightened my arms crossed on my chest. I stomped my foot on to the wasted cigar and detached my back from the cold brick wall where I leaned on, strutting back to the entrance of the club. 

That woman, Allison, she was something. There was something about her that I couldn't quiet grasp. She was mysterious and was hiding a lot secrets, I could tell that from the moment I looked into her eyes. What people saw or thought about how she looked and acted in front of them was just a fragment of what and who she really was on the inside.

I squished my way to the crowd and proceeded to the bar. I looked around and saw people still keep coming even if it was getting late. 

"Hey, what can I get you?" the bartender asked politely.

"Nothing. Just want to rest my feet," 

"A glass of beer please," the man, who just sat two stools apart from mine said. The kind bartender smiled and nodded before walking to him.

I smiled back at him. I tapped my fingers on the counter while watching him served another customer's order. After he was finished making the cocktail, he walked back towards me, grabbing a white cloth to wipe a spilled liquor on the counter inches from where my hands rested.

"You looked cool back there," he commented while tilting his head towards the dance floor. "I saw you dancing with Allison earlier."

"Is that her name?'' I asked pretending to not know her. 

He shrugged. "Yeah, just heard from my co-worker."

Apparently, talking to him was just a waste of time. He didn't know much about that girl. If I could just talk to that Jacob guy. But better try harder.

"So um, your co-worker and that girl, are they dating?"

"I don't know. Jacob is a secretive guy. He won't tell anyone about his private life except for close friends. But he did mention meeting that girl few days ago."

I nodded. "Jacob? Is that his name?" 

"Yes. Are you sure you don't want anything? You look like you could use some booze."

I shook my head. "I'm fine. Thanks for your time, I really need to be going."

"Ah okay, it was nice talking to you." I gave him a half-hearted smile and stood up. Once again, I squeezed myself through the sweaty bodies of the people dancing and reached the hallway unscathed. Fetching my phone from my purse, I walked towards the metal door, pushing it open to freedom from sweating bodies and the dizzying smell of liquors and mixed scents.

"Anything new?" he asked with his manly tone.

"Not yet I'm afraid."

"If you find something, call me immediately."

"Will do," I said while opening the car door. I shoved myself in, buckling the seatbelt then stepped on the gas after the car roared to life. I clenched the wheel tightly thinking how unproductive this day as usual. I've been tailing her for some time now but didn't catch her doing something unusual. And speaking of Jacob, why him? If she was going to have sex with him, why would she chose him, there were a lot of wealthy sex maniacs at the bar but she solely wanted him and why drove away when there were a lot of comfortable places back there unless... she wanted something from him or she wanted him to do something for her in exchange for money or sex even. Guys like Jacob who worked so hard would definitely seize an opportunity that involved money. I guess everything was making sense now.

I parked my car on the side of the road overlooking the entrance of the building. It was getting late and I felt a little tired but I couldn't miss this one out. If I need to stay awake until morning then I would do it.

An hour had passed but neither Jacob and Allison didn't leave the apartment. I checked earlier if the two were in there and I was positive. Those two really got it going. I sighed sharply and got out of the car. If I want to stay awake, I need a little caffeine in my system. Shoving my freezing hands on my worsted coat pocket, I walked towards a nearby coffee shop. Warm air and the smell of mouth-watering greeted me. I continued walking until I reached the counter. A woman greeted me with a genuine smile and asked for my order.

I returned the same kind smile. "Sugar free black coffee please."

I slid into my car with a coffee in hand. I wasn't in the mood to listen to some music but decided to play one instead to keep me awake. As if the radio knew my situation, one of my favorites, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, played in the speaker. My head bobbed with the beat and I sang the lyrics.

  "If I lay here"

  "If I just lay here" 

  "Would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

Tapping my fingers on the wheel while gulping down some of my coffee, I continued singing.

"Forget what we're told"

"Before we get too old"

"Show me a garden that's bursting into life"

I looked outside my window to check if they were done but none came out. Good! Just let me finish the song.

"Let's waste time"

"Chasing cars"

"Around our heads"  

 "I need your grace"

"To remind me"

"To find my own"  

...

The song finally finished and so was my coffee. As if on cue, when I turned to look outside, Jacob appeared at the entrance with Allison behind him. Grabbing my phone on the dashboard, pressing the camera, I lowered the window enough to get a clear view. From where I was situated, I could take a good shot. Allison was stroking Jacob's arms while they were talking. I captured their every move until she gave Jacob a quick peck on his lips before walking back to the entrance. Adjusting his backpack in his shoulder, he waited for few minutes for a taxi. I settled myself and twisted the key in the ignition. Once the engine blared, I immediately wheeled left, following the taxi he was in. A part of me wanted to stay in my spot earlier but a bigger part of me wanted to follow Jacob. I kept an enough distance, so that it wouldn't be obvious I'm following. I glanced at the red numbers on the dashboard and it displayed 3:47. Well, they had been doing a lot of fun inside her apartment and me, on the other hand was struggling to keep myself from drifting to sleep.

 The tall buildings and the cars passed by in a blur and was replaced with small houses where trees were prominent in the area.The taxi slowed down and stopped near to a small house. The yellow paints were started peeling, some part of the roof started to crack and the flowers and grasses in the front yard were all withered.

Jacob got out and hastily went inside the house. Grabbing my phone once again, I turned back the car. I searched his number and called him but no answer. I knew it was late but damn it, he needed to pick up the phone. After waiting for forty-six years, finally, he answered it. Before he could begin ranting, I spoke up first.

"She's seeing someone."

"You woke me up just for that?" I pursed my lips at his reply, "...it could be her boyfriend."

"You're wrong. It is more than that. And I'll prove it to you." I ended the call before he could retort back. Pride swelled within me after I managed to end the call first like he did earlier. I was just returning the favor. I was all smiles driving back to my place thinking about my little stalking later. 

Mission clock starts now!

Yes another update...What do you think of this chapter? Well, stay tuned if you want to know who hired this private eye!! 

If you like this chapter, please feel free to like and comment!!

XOXO!!!!!