Let the Fire Light Our Path To a Bright Future

•Y/N: Your Name

——————————————————
___________________________________
Author's POV:
___________________________________

——————————————————___________________________________Author's POV:___________________________________

___________________________________

Red— Flickering red, which popped and sparked, letting out a thick cloud of smoke as dark as a sky before rain. It hissed like a feral monster hiding in the weeds surrounding the cabin as it devoured the wood at its feet along with the plastic casing of a certain CD, screaming as though the inanimate object were in pain. After coming home from the store, Matt created a big bonfire out front and had brought his prisoner outside to come admire the work he had done.

She sat a safe distance away, wrapped in warm blankets that draped over her shoulders and covered her lap, seated on a sheet upon the grass. Running at that point would've been idiotic, but god, was it tempting. It had been so long since she had submerged herself in the world outside the cabin walls. She was going to savor it as long as she could. The temptation to shove Matt in the fire was also alluring, but unfortunately her feet were bound, as were her hands. Even if she did plan to escape now, it couldn't happen because of that simple fact.

Silent tears rolled down her face as pieces of Gaven's memories were tossed into the fire. Every picture he had of the boy was cut out, every Muse CD he had in his truck was tossed in as well. Seems he was quite serious about ridding him from their lives. It was sad to her. All those precious moments thrown to the wind like he didn't matter. If he were here with her now, watching this unfold, he would no doubt weep with her. When the deed was finished, Matt turned towards the girl, a wet film over his own eyes, though who's to say whether it was from the ash and smoke or that he was feeling emotional himself. He sat down beside her with a sigh before picking up another blanket that had been left on the sheet beside her. It had gotten fairly cold out, which was normal for this time of the year. It would only be a matter of weeks before they got their first snowfall, so he wanted Y/N to enjoy the outdoors for a bit before then.

"There, all gone. I, for one, feel much better." Sniffling, she pulled up her knees, causing her blanket to fall off her shoulder a bit. Matt helps her cover up again before asking, "Did you want to sit closer? It is a bit cold out." She shakes her head, wiping her eyes on her shoulder before returning to the flames. He sighs at this, but wasn't going to force her.

"You said you were having dreams yesterday. Are you feeling guilty about what you did?" She asks suddenly, speaking as coldly as the air around them.

"You want to talk about this now?" He seemed a bit ticked but relaxed with a breath. He didn't want to put his anger on her again. It was a reasonable question after his recent behavior. "I don't know anymore. I don't think so. Personally, I think he's just haunting me from beyond the grave. Sounds like a Gaven thing to do."

"He loved you. More than anything, he loved you. You were his idol. He looked up to you."

"He should've picked someone else. I wouldn't want anyone to have my life."

"You're so stuck in your past, Matt." The brunette faced her after she had spouted such harsh words, finding her gaze fixed on the fire in a sharp glare. "You care so much about what people think of you."

"Doesn't everyone? Fuck, I wouldn't give two shits of it were strangers, but my own damn family? I was nothing to them."

"That's not true. I cannot speak for your parents, but your whole family didn't think less of you. Gaven certainly didn't."

"He was a spoiled brat. What did he know? He had his talents held front and center. He was social and energetic, musical and funny, easy to get along with. I had to be forced into finding my talents, talents I could care less for. I hated acting. I hated the people I had to surround myself with. Every move I made had to be with a clear, thought-out reason. I couldn't goof off like Gaven got to. My true passion was reduced to a hobby because, 'who the hell would pay an artist who only takes photographs? Any dummy with a phone could do that.'" He scoffs, quoting his father's own words, wearing a snarl on his lips. It had been to satisfying killing that man. "Why is it so bad that I wanted to do something crazy for a change? That I wanted to risk everything for something I actually cared about."

"Because you took lives for it. You spilled blood, your own family's blood."

"They deserved it!" He shouts with clenched fists, making her flinch and fall silent. She had pushed too far. Realizing what he did, Matt inhales shakily and gulps down his anger. "I don't expect you to understand. Your family actually loves you. I see it in their texts almost daily. Had the roles been reversed, I doubt my mom or dad would've checked in on me once. I envy you, Y/N."

"Is that what this whole thing has been, envy?" She asks, as though all the pieces have finally settled in.

"You had a life that I adored, yeah, but I did not mistake envy for love, Y/N. You got to enjoy yourself. You made the friends that you wanted to have, loving parents, and got to be an only child where all the focus was on you. You were free to do what you wanted to do. We'll both have that. After we come to our agreement, we will both have that freedom together. Our love will bind us."

"You confuse me so much, Matt." Y/N sighs defeatedly. She thought she could somehow bring his guilt more to the surface, but he was still clinging to his delusions too much. It was useless. The wind howls through the trees, making her shiver and scrunch up a bit. An unwelcome arm came around her shoulders, pulling her in closer to Matt's body to gain some warmth. She stiffened and clenched her teeth, but stayed silent about it.

"It will become clear in time. We're finished now. No more talking about them. It doesn't matter anymore. You're right, I am too stuck in the past. Now, I need to look to my future with you. Thank you, Y/N, for helping me realize that. This fire is a symbol of all the things thrown away so that our path may clear." His lips touch the crook of her neck, and she jumps.

"It's time to start anew."