Text Messages

•Y/N: Your Name
•F/N: Father's Name

————————————————
Author's POV:
_______________________________

————————————————Author's POV:_______________________________

________________________________

"Your mom called while I was out," Matt mentions casually while putting away freshly-cleaned clothes into the drawers of the dresser, sending his victim into a silent panic. The unsettling news caused her heart to pound erratically as she watches him, anxiously awaiting for him to continue. The man regards the look with a simple, reassuring smile that partially eased her worried thoughts. "I just told her that you were taking a nap and that I didn't want to disturb you, since you haven't been sleeping well, and I said that we're doing well, just a bit exhausted with the 'situation'." Y/N bows her head a little, wishing she could've been able to pick up the phone herself and tell her mom the truth of what's going on. Matt shuts the filled drawer and meets the saddened look with a light frown, which turns into a miniature smile after gaining a thought. "Though, I'm sure she'd still like to hear from you personally. Is there anything you'd like to say to her?"

"I'll give you one guess," she grumbles, her expression that of faint annoyance. Matt chuckles softly, disregarding her harsh tone.

"Well, I'm not going to spill all my secrets to her. She's been texting your phone a lot too, but I don't have your password to answer them. Can you unlock it for me?" The idea made her stomach twist. It's bad enough that he can answer her calls, but now, he wants access to the entire phone too?

"Why on Earth would I do that? So you can snoop?" Matt frowns at the accusation.

"I'm not lying if that's what you think. It wouldn't benefit me at all if she got suspicious and came looking for you." Y/N tenses as he walks over to lean close to her ear and whisper, "I might be tempted to do something rash." Now, she might vomit.

"Don't you dare!" Matt leans back as she threw her head at him, avoiding it just in time. He remains calm, though, after seeing how stressed she became at the thought of him hurting her parents.

"It would only be a last resort, which can be easily avoided simply by unlocking your phone and writing her a message. Obviously, I'll be typing for you." She takes a deep breath and lets out a shaky sigh.

"Fine." She withholds a cringe as the man kisses the top of her head in appreciation.

"Thank you," he says before leaving the room momentarily to fetch the device from wherever he's hidden it. When he comes back, he parks at her side on the bed, resting against the headboard as he holds the phone in front of the girl's bound hands. The screen displays the lock screen, where she reluctantly types in the password, using a single finger, with Matt's eyes intently watching every number she pressed, memorizing each one. Y/N really wished he wouldn't hover over her shoulder like this. The second she was done, the phone was pulled away. Matt goes straight to her mother's text messages, though that did not mean he wouldn't attempt going through the rest of it later. She knew she had nothing in particular that she had to hide, but this is a big invasion of her privacy, so of course it was upsetting. He fills her in on what was said, but most of the messages consisted of her mom asking how things are and telling them to stay safe. There were also updates on their end about how she and F/N were doing. After reading everything, Matt looks to Y/N, waiting for her to tell him what to type. Heaving a heavy sigh, the teen lowers her head, gathering the strength to speak through wavering lips.

"Tell her I'm sorry that I didn't answer sooner, that we've gone some place with hardly any reception." He nods, believing that's a reasonable place to start off. He would be sure to word things very carefully in case the police ever go ahold of these texts. They will have to line up with everything he had previously said. Y/N ponders what to say next. There are so many words that wished to fly out of her mouth in that moment, but all of them would ultimately be rejected by Matt. She had to keep it normal, make it seem like she was safe and that everything was fine. The girl almost burst into tears because she couldn't fill either of her parents in on the reality of the situation. She couldn't believe she came out here on her own free will.

"I've been telling the police we went on a long road trip, so go off that," Matt suggests after noticing how long her pause was. Y/N's breath hitched as she tried to keep it together and flinched when a hand caressed her cheek. "Would you like me to come up with what to say?" She shakes her head. What if this was her last chance to speak to them. If she relinquished the chance now, he might take it upon himself to answer them always.

"Say we've gone on a road trip and that you've taken lots of pictures." Her hands clench as her eyes tear up. "I can't wait to show you them when I see you again." He nods, happy that she chose to mention him and his hobby. Saying she might return was a good move too, though it would never actually happen. "I'm glad you guys are doing well. Stay safe. I hope the killer is caught soon." She spoke with all her heart on that last one, sending Matt the nastiest glare. He brushes it off and types. He felt how genuinely she said those words. It upset him, but he wouldn't let it get to him. She's still adjusting.

"Is that all?"

"I love you." The phone dropped from Matt's hands as he turned to Y/N in disbelief. His reaction made her sick. "To my parents, dumbass," she growls, causing the man to shake his head.

"Right, right. Sorry."

'Of course she meant them.' He brushed it off, collecting himself and picking up the phone. He just longed to hear those words so badly that when she suddenly said them, he couldn't help but have that fleeting moment where he thought they were directed towards him, even if that made no sense with their current relationship. Matt types in everything she said before shutting the phone off without sending the message.

"Aren't you going to send it?" She questions as her captor stood.

"I'll have to leave the house to do that. No signal, remember? Better to do it sooner than later. I'll be out for a bit, but I'll bring home some pizza. You liked the one I got on our first night, right?" Y/N nods her head, glad to get more alone time, but felt sad that she could not directly call her parents.

"You know," she starts just as Matt was about to leave. He stops in the doorway and looks back at her with a curious look. Y/N meets his gaze with hardened eyes and speaks calmly. "Eventually, she's going to wonder why I haven't called her myself. She'll question why you've been answering the phone instead. Just how long do you think you can keep this up, Matt?"

"I didn't say you could never talk to her, but in order to do that, you have to be able to earn my trust. She might think it's strange, sure, but you said it yourself: there's hardly any reception in this place. Right now, it's perfectly believable that you can only speak through texts that will go through whenever there's a signal. I was sure to put emphasis on that in the message. Besides, it's not like I'm going to race to answer whenever they call," he says without missing a beat, as though he had already thought it through, which he had. "Nice try, though," he commemorates before walking out, filling the girl with frustration, but she remains hopeful.

'He'll have to slip up at some point.'