His Beloved

•Y/N: Your Name
•E/C: Eye Color

Your POV:

A week had passed, and it had to have been the longest week of my life. The upside had been that Matt had been so kind and caring and did anything in his power to take my mind off my best friend's death. I welcomed every distraction he threw my way with open arms. For the first and second day, we cleaned the entire cabin— A boring chore, yes, but it helped keep my thoughts elsewhere. Matt then went to a grocery store to buy a lot of food to last us a long while, leaving me alone in the cabin.

Though he didn't take long, I took to reading the books in the bedroom even though most weren't exactly catching my interest. A lot were textbooks on hunting tips and taxidermy, but again, they were a good distraction. Matt stayed home entirely after we settled and would amuse me with conversation. When I brought up wanting to tell my parents we were safe, he claimed to have already done so when he had went out for pizza on the first night. I trust him, therefore I believe him.

I was happy knowing he had every intent on protecting me and was taking care of every little detail to keep us both safe. What did I expect though. Matt is smart and seems to know what he's doing at all times, which I can't help but admire about him. Sometimes, I do wonder if he's trying to use me as a replacement for Gaven. It was almost like he wants someone to take care of, but I don't mind. Perhaps this is his way of coping? For today, Matt had asked me to stay in the bedroom because he had a surprise for me. Obviously, I'm excited to learn what it is, and I can't help but wonder the numerous possibilities. I wait patiently, though, playing with Marisa to pass the time, but eventually, the cat got tired and no longer wished to play.

'How much longer will I have to wait?' I ponder while scratching behind the black feline's ears. Feeling restless, I slide off the bed and search for something to entertain myself. I will do anything not to slip back into my thoughts of paranoia. It's bad enough dealing with those dreadful nightmares that wake me up in the middle of the night.

Thankfully, Matt has comforted me each time. He didn't realize I had been waking up at night until the third time it happened, and he assured me it was all right to wake him if I ever needed comfort, which I definitely took advantage of, but he seemed happy to help. None of the books on the shelf sparked my interest, and I didn't want to mess with any of Matt's cameras. I'd play games on my phone, but I seemed to have misplaced it. Oddly, I wasn't too bothered by that. It's not like I can use it often anyway, since there was no internet or signal to call anyone. It'll turn up eventually. Groaning, I decide to just take a nap and walk back to the bed only to trip over a loose floorboard and fall flat on my face. I hiss in pain and sit up to rub my throbbing knee before pulling up the soft fabric of my grey sweatpants. The flesh had reddened and felt tender, so I think it might bruise.

'F***!' I mentally curse before looking at what tripped me. I stare in surprise upon seeing that a short plank in the floor had shifted to reveal a hidden space beneath the wood. I move the plank aside for a better look and find a thick book inside the small compartment. After pulling it out, I see that it's not a book at all, but a photo album, and there wasn't a trace of dust on it, so it had to have been recently placed.

The cover is made of black canvas with a ruby-red heart in the center of it. Tilting my head, I curiously open it and have a look at the pictures inside. My heart sinks when my gaze lands on a photo of our trio: Matt, me and... Gaven. It was of us at the Muse concert with big smiles on our faces. That night had been so fun and, admittedly, a little crazy.