Heavy Packer

•Y/N: Your Name

Your POV:

Matt and I spent the morning packing essentials for our getaway trip: clothes, food, the cat's litter box and food, and, of course, the cat. Since his parents hadn't come home yet, I suppose he thought it would be best to bring her with us, which I didn't mind. I love that little fuzz ball. However, I was moving a bit slower than him due to my brain buzzing with too many thoughts. I just hope this vacation will help and that mom and dad will let me go.

I go back to his bedroom with a bag of canned goods that I took from the kitchen and set it on the bed beside Matt's suitcase, which is practically full. He smiles at me while putting a few photo albums in, and I give him a small one back. He was bringing his camera with too, likely planning to take some pictures at the cabin. I have no idea how long we'll be staying there exactly, but, judging by the amount he's packing, it'll be for awhile. Though, I suppose we have no idea when the murderer will be caught, so I should've expected it'd be a long time before we return.

"I think I can take care of the rest. Why don't you wait in the truck for me? I'll only be a few minutes more." I give the man a slight nod, feeling a little nervous to go outside by myself, but I don't let that show so that I don't worry him. I'm sure he has enough on his mind already.

After picking up the bag of food again, I leave the house and walk up to the truck parked in the driveway. There are already a few bags in the bed of the vehicle filled with the stuff we packed, but there is still plenty of room for my own things to be added to the pile. I place the bag in the back before slipping into the passenger seat and shutting the door. I heave a deep sigh and sink into the seat with sealed eyes, trying to relax until a soft meow gains my attention. I turn my head to look into the back seat and find Marisa sitting in the cat carrier looking frightened and confused.

Poor thing probably isn't used to being in a car. I'm glad we're taking her with, after all, she belonged to Gaven, so it was like a piece of him is here with us. I feel a sharp pang in my heart and felt sick to my stomach when the image of the boy's head flashed in my brain. I reach a hand out and open the cage to bring the cat onto my lap to comfort her with pets, though, I guess it was more to calm myself. I need to think about something else, anything else other than what happened. I bite my bottom lip and sniffle as tears glaze over my eyes, trying my best to keep from sobbing. I nearly jump when the driver side door opens to reveal Matt's smiling form.

"All right, that's the last of it. Ready?" He asks while slipping into the driver's seat. I open my mouth only to shut it and nod instead as he buckled his seatbelt. I fear my sobs will escape me if I speak. Matt's smile falters at my silence as I lower my gaze to keep my teary eyes hidden.

The side of my face is gently pushed to look back at him as he comfortingly rubs his thumb against my cheek. My tense shoulders slump and I was tempted to push against his warm hand, but I didn't want to seem weird. "Hey, it's gonna be okay, I promise." He gives a gentle smile before bringing his hand back to his lap, whilst I nod and give a small one back. I look back down and pet the cat to distract my mind, causing Matt to sigh softly before starting the engine.

From the radio, Gaven's Muse CD plays, causing my eyes to grow wide and fill with more tears. I gag and hurriedly cover my mouth while releasing sobs, which I try so hard to contain, but it was all in vain. I then cover my ears to block out the song, which reminded me of my deceased friend, allowing hot tears to spill from my eyes. Matt panics and hurriedly shuts off the radio before apologizing profusely.

"Sorry! Sorry! I'm so sorry! His CD must have been left in here." He turns to me as I hide my face in my hands.

'Why? Why did he have to die?!'