Devoured by Guilt

•Y/N: Your Name

——————————————————
___________________________________
Author's POV:
___________________________________

——————————————————___________________________________Author's POV:___________________________________

___________________________________

Matt felt sick to his stomach, empty and alone, as he stared helplessly at the body wrapped in bandages. It was like looking at a mummy, some unmoving corpse with ice-cold skin and a sunken face. Luckily, they had reached the hospital on time. She would not die, but my, how close had she gotten to death. He felt her slipping from his grasp and, for once, realized there was nothing he could've done about it had that car not shown up when it had.

She would've left him.

     He didn't even feel so shaken when he killed his brother or his parents. Maybe that was because he never actually held anything against Y/N? To him, she couldn't do wrong. He wanted to vomit. He didn't know what to do. The only solace he had was that her jaw was wired shut from the surgery, so when she wakes, she wouldn't be able to speak unless they had her write something out. At the moment, he doubted that'd be possible, knowing the state of her arms. He was safe for the time being.

Matt felt a chill from the seat next to him, causing his foot to stop tapping and his shoulders to tense up as the urge to cry worsened. Gaven said nothing, but his dull eyes were staring at the body as well. A part of him wanted to force the boy's eyes away from her, but he doubted he could control his brother in the state he was in. His hand might go right through him again. He couldn't quite figure out what he was, a ghost or an illusion. It felt like a mix of both. Whatever it was made his chest sink as he covered his mouth and bent over, crying. What should he do now?

     "Let her go," Gaven answered with the same thing he always had. Matt wanted to retort, but the words caught in his throat as he sobbed. "I know you love her, but what you've done, look where it brought you. You can hate me all you want. I'm fine with that, but don't hurt her because of how we all treated you. I'm sorry if I ever hurt you, Matt."

     "Shut up. You aren't real. None of this is real. I'm dreaming, and I'm going to wake up, and she will be there with me."

    "She won't. If you try to keep her, she will die, Matt." His heart felt struck with a knife as he shook his head in denial before holding his forehead.

     "She can't die. She's supposed to be fine. The doctors fixed her, so I can take her back to the cabin, and she'll be alright."

     "Look at her and tell me she will be alright." Matt clenched his teeth, refusing.

     "This was just an accident. I won't let it happen again."

"Look at her, Matt."