Within Reach

•Y/N: Your Name
•E/C: Eye Color
•H/C: Hair Color

Your POV:

When the police dropped by, they immediately started asking what happened and my relationship with the deceased. Every mention of the head made me want to vomit, and, once, I did in the middle of the interrogation. They, thankfully, cleared the package away by the time my parents came home. I wouldn't want them to witness such a gruesome thing. I'm having a hard enough time with it as it is.

'Poor Gaven. What the heck happened to you? Who could've done this?' Mom and dad were understandably against me leaving the house to visit Matt, but I knew telling someone their brother died over the phone might not be the best way to go about it. They too understood that, so they drove me to his house before going back home, telling me to call them when I'm finished.

I walk up to the front door and wipe the tears from my eyes before taking in a deep, shaky breath. I lightly knock on the door and wait for an answer while trying to think of the best way to go about this. He's going to be devastated. It takes mere moments before the door is swung open to reveal Matt's form dressed in a plain, white teeshirt and black sweatpants. When he sees it's me, his lips form a happy smile that makes my stomach twist.

'He really has no idea, does he?'

"Oh, hey, Y/N. Wasn't expecting you. Come in." I stood, frozen in place, not even sure what to say first as he steps aside to let me in. Upon seeing my solemn expression, his smile fades and worry replaces it.

"Is something wrong? Why are you crying?" I silently come inside, keeping my head low as I breathe shaky breaths. I can't even meet his gaze.

"M-Matt, I need to tell you something." I speak barely above a whisper, ready to break into tears yet again as the urge to vomit resurfaces. "Are your p-parents home?" I ask, thinking it'd be better to say this in front of the whole family. The man merely shrugs his shoulders.

"Don't know. They didn't come home last night. Gaven's not here either." He claims while shutting the door, and my shoulders tense. Something about his parents missing didn't sit right with me. I worry something might've happened to them too, and, if that's the case, Matt could be in danger. Tears fall from my E/C orbs as I surprise him with a strong hug and burry my face in his shoulder. "Y/N?"

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! It's just awful!" I imagine he's greatly confused, so, between labored breaths, I explain the situation to him. "G-Gaven's dead! S-Someone killed him, a-a-and they p-put his head in a box and left it on my doorstep. He's gone. He's really gone."

I sob and squeeze him tighter while crying. My body trembles and falls limp against his body, but, thankfully, he catches me by hugging me back. I'm scared, so very scared. From where my head is placed, I can hear his heart beating faster out of, what I assume to be, fear. After piecing together my broken speech, his hold strengthens around my torso, keeping me pressed up against his chest. It was silent, aside from my cries, until I heard a meow at my feet.

Looking down, I find Marisa nudging at my ankle and playing with the laces of my sneakers. Sniffling, I wipe my eyes and gaze up to check on Matt. Unsurprisingly, his eyes are full of tears, but he appears to be withholding from breaking down completely as he bends down slightly to press his forehead against mine. The action surprised me,but I didn't move.