2

Hyeri was surprised. When she said Brisk walk, she really did mean it. Regardless, the boy with her didn't seem to be tired, even though Hyeri, who had taken this route many times, was starting to build up a sweat.

"Maybe a conversation will slow him down, we've basically already arrived at the apartment." She thought.

"So..." Hyeri started. "My name's Hyeri, and I'm 21, studying Business at Uni. What about you?"

The boy was reluctant to reply.

"My name's Jay, I'm also 21 and I enjoy singing and dancing."

Singing and dancing? Like an idol?

"Maybe he hasn't made it yet, no need to pressure him for more information." Hyeri thought as she opened the door and pressed the 'up' button on the elevator.

"That's cool." She said as the entered the elevator, ignoring the 'doors closing' alert.

What now? It was kinda akward. Hyeri didn't usually invite strangers to live with her, so she hadn't thought of how akward the situation could have been.

"Well, my apartment's on the second floor, it's not that great or spacious, but I hope you enjoy it." Hyeri said.

"What do I mean 'Enjoy it'? He's got no where else to go, he better enjoy it." Hyeri thought.

Jay smiled nervously and looked down.

"Seriously, thankyou for letting me stay with you. You're a lifesaver." He said softly

Hyeri internally smiled at his sweet words and got off the elevator. She walked towards apartment #43 and unlocked the door.

Anyone who knew Hyeri would know that she enjoyed creating chill spaces for everyone to relax and unwind in. Afterall, if you didn't feel comfortable at your own home, you're living wrong.

Jays eyes widened in shock. A sunset lamp had been strategically placed to illuminate the entire room, showcasing the golden beanbags on the floor, small TV standing on a wooden table that contained mini shelves that houses self care books. His eyes skimmed across to the kitchen bench top which sat under a fruit bowl filled with mandarins, a tall fridge and a small corner with the sink, a microwave and cupbourds that would later reveal to contain instant foods and cereals.

He looked to the far end and saw three doors, one which displayed 'Hyeri' written using letters cut out from magazines, one that had slightly been left open to reveal a bathroom and the third, Jay guesses, was the spare room in which he would be staying in.

"Wow, this is...wow" Jays mouth hung open, obviously being covered by the mask he wore.

"Close the door behind you." Said Hyeri, trying to mask her thrill at her visitors reaction. The girl simply adored leaving guests speachless at the ambience of her home.

The two stopped at a coat hanger, which was placed next to a mirror and table. Hyeri took off her mask and fixed her hair in the mirror.

"You can put your mask here" she instructed, still viewing her appearance in the mirror. Jay took a deep breath in and took off his mask, placing it on the tray on the table.

What the hell?

Hyeri knew that Jay was attractive, I mean, even with the mask on, Jay still managed to maintain a sophisticated appearance that would easily turn any guy or girls heads. But this? This was another level of visuals. Hyeri focused back on herself, trying to make sure she didn't embarrass herself.

Jay nervously looked at Hyeri and paused.

"So..." He dragged.

Hyeri look back at him and smiled. "Let me show you your room, I'll hand you a towel and you can take a shower too, then we can discuss house rules over dinner. I trust you have clothes in that bag?"

Jay, who looked back down, nodded and followed the girl. They entered the guest room, where Jay placed his bag on a chair and looked around.

A bed, a desk with a chair and a mirror. Everything he needed.

Hyeri emerged with a towel, as well as a laundry hamper.

"You can put all your dirty clothes in here, we have a public washing machine here." She said.

"You'll find body wash and all the other necessities in the bathroom, and I've placed a green toothbrush for you in the holder. Do you have any dietary requirements? Allergies?" The girl said all in one breath.

Jay spoke up. "I'm fine to eat anything. Thankyou for everything, seriously."

"Seriously, it's fine. Now go wash up" Hyeri ushered.

It had been a while since Jay entered the bathroom, Hyeri was getting worried now. She walked towards the door and called out. "Jay, are you alright?"

A pause.

The door unlocked to reveal Jay wearing a shirt, torso covered in a towel and red eyes.

"Nah, he couldn't be crying. It's probably just the steam or something." Hyeri thought.

"Dinners almost ready." Hyeri said, leaving a gap for Jay to walk into his room.

"That was kinda weird..."

Hyeri was about to walk away when she heard sniffles coming from inside the room.

Hyeri was frozen in place, heart dropping on her chest.

Oh no, how do you comfort someone you've just met?

Hyeri gently knocked on the door after pondering for some time.

"I'm coming in, are you decent?" She asked

"Yeah, yeah all good." Jay replied.

She walked in to see the boy sitting on the chair miserably failing at his attempt conceal his tears.

"What's wrong?" She questioned.

A pause. Why were the so many pauses between the two?

"Nothing. This is just an unusual situation, you know? People are dying out there, I'll be stuck here for a while and I forgot to bring my charger." Jay managed to tell.

Hyeri understood his concerns, but a charger being one of them? She probably had a spare one he could use. Regardless of her opinions, Hyeri felt the need to say something.

"Hey, it's ok. I can assure you, I know that everyone is feeling confused and scared. Who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow, when this nightmare will end or why it even started." Hyeri offered.

"Everyone is being affected, some more than others, but I want you to know that you're not alone, we can get through this together, Jay." Hyeri ended with a soft smile.

Jay sniffled a little, he seemed to have grown calmer.

"Thankyou. I promise I won't be a nuisance to you, I can't stop being greatful for the kindness you've shown me." He finally spoke up.

It's rare to find such kindered spirits in the world we live in today. Jay clearly deserved the world and everything in it. Hyeri had never met someone so InTouch with their emotions in a positive way, maybe she could learn something from their encounter.

Jay sniffled a little more, wiping his tears on his shirt. He inhaled deeply and exhaled, steadying his breath and opening his eyes.

"Just to clear up the air on my side, you don't know who I am, right?" Jay asked, to which Hyeri responded.

"Never met you in my life."

Why did Jay look like all the weight had been lifted off his shoulders?