chapter 27

Me and Hyunjin continued our walk through the amusement park. I played a few more games but I was still no good at them. Hyunjin didn't play anything so the only prize won that day was Dwaekki which wasn't a problem with me.

It was almost time the leave and the sun was finally starting to settle into the horizon. It looked so pretty with splashes of pink, purple, and orange. I wanted to get a better look. As I looked around the park I noticed an observation tower that was really high up. Maybe three stories.

The view of the sunset must be perfect from up there.

"Let's go this way," I said.

Hyunjin quietly followed  behind me as we were not longer holding hands. Hyunjin stopped once people started to leave. I didn't fight it. I'm still trying to cope with the fact that I like him. Even just saying it gives me a mini heart attack.

I started to walk quiet up the spiral staircase and I could hear Hyunjin's footsteps behind me. As we got to the first level I looked out but still couldn't see very well so I continued up the stairs. The higher we got the more excitement I was until I noticed I couldn't hear Hyunjin foot steps anymore.

I looked back to see that he was far behind me. I walked back confused. When I reached him I could see that he was gripping the railing tightly and he looked pale.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine, go" He said, gesturing toward the steps.

I looked at him for a few seconds longer before turning around and continuing up, slower this time. I could once hear his foot steps but not a minute later I heard him stop again.

When I turned around I could see his pale knuckles as the gripped the railing for ear life. His chest heaved in heavy, fast breathes.

"Hyunjin-" I began but he cut me off.

"I said I'm fine keep going," He said sharply.

I didn't want to anger him so I just continued on moving, even slower than before paying close attention to the sound of heavy footsteps behind me.

The wind was stronger as we ascended. Soon a gust of wind rolled in shaking the tower slightly. I heard a heavy thud.

I whipped around quickly.

Hyunjin now had both hands on the railing. His eyes were shut tightly and his legs trembled. That's when it clicked.

"Hyunjin, are you scared of heights," I asked cautiously.

"What are you talking about? I'm an adult. I can handle it just fine," he said defensively.

but I could hear a shake in his voice.

I watched as he went to take another step, his foot was heavy on the metal stair and his hands gripped so tightly on the railing it looked like it hurt.

I had never seen Hyunjin like this. He was always so indifferent when it came to most things now. But right now it was showing such a vivid reaction. I had been through it many times. It was definitely fear.

I walked closer to him.

"Yeah you're right, I don't know what I was thinking," I started, "But I'm really scared of heights. Do you think you could hold my hand the rest of the way up," I said.

Hyunjin looked at me for a bit with a pained expression before releasing one of his hands from the railing a grabbing mine. He tighten his hold and squeezed my hand.

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

I took another step and Hyunjin followed. Then another. I moved slowly up the stairs as Hyunjin squeezed my hand with every step. I squeezed his back.

We slowly made are way up the steps until eventually we were at the top. I looked in awe as the sunset was in full view. I looked over to see that Hyunjin still had his eyes closed.

"The sunset is so beautiful," I said.

Hyunjin slowly opened his eyes. I could see them light up at the scene in front of him. He walked to the edge and looked out. I walked up next to him. His face was calm and he didn't seem afraid anymore.

"Is this what you came up here to see?" Hyunjin asked, looking out into the sky.

I nodded and rested my elbows on on the railing.

Hyunjin didn't say anything, he just kept looking out.  

I decided to break the silence.

"I wonder why I'm so afraid of heights," I said, "Why do you think I'm afraid of heights?"

Hyunjin looked over at me. His expression was slightly amused.

"I think I might know why," He said, turning back to the sunset.

I looked at him with expecting eyes.

"But," he paused and took a deep breath, "You can't tell anyone."

I reached over and touched his arm. I think he understood without me having to say anything.

I won't tell a soul.

"I think that when you were 17 you ran away from home. When you returned you're father was furious but instead  of grounding you or taking you're things he gave you a different kind of punishment," He started.

Hyunjin took another deep breath and I listened very word that came from his mouth.

"He took you on a trip to the mountains. You climb together when you lost your footing. You looked down and you knew that if you fell you would die," Hyunjin's eyes seem to loose themselves in the sky.

"You looked up at you're father who had already made it up to the next safe landing. You screamed for his help," He took another long pause.

I could see the pain in his eyes as he relived the scene. I tighten my grip on his arm but I don't think that matter. I couldn't tell if he even remembered that I was there. He seemed lost in his own mind.

"He look at me and told me that if I felt independent enough to run away then I could pull myself up," He said.

He had completely dropped the act of pretending to talk about me. I didn't say anything. There was nothing to be said.

"It took me 20 minutes to crawl my way up. And even now, as an adult. I can't even look out my own bedroom window without feeling like it's only a matter of time before I fall to my death."

We both sat in silence. I didn't dare to break it and neither did he. We stayed there foe about half an hour before Hyunjin looked down and checked his watch.

"We should go, we have a panel tomorrow," He said plainly.

I nodded softly and we began to make our way down. Hyunjin walked fast ahead of me. I couldn't tell if it was because he wanted to get down as soon as possible, or he wanted to get away from me as soon as possible.

I quickly got my answer when I made it down and he was halfway to the entrance. He didn't look back once. Did he regret sharing something for personal with me. It's understandable why he would feel that way.

I'm just his coworker. I'm not anyone special in his life. I never have been, I never will be. No matter how I feel about him it won't change the fact that he sees me as nothing but someone he works with. 

I ran to catch up with him and we walked silently back to his car. I got in my seat and we were once again in the close quarters. The car felt tighter now, like it was pushing us together. I hated this feeling.

One minute we were holding hands and walking through park together, the next Hyunjin was sharing a super private secret with me, and now we were sitting in his car right next to each other, but yet I felt miles away from him.

_______________________________

A/N: Hey guys here the new chapter. I'm finally back to Uploading regularly. This is a heavier chapter but I still hope you enjoyed seeing a new side to Hyunjin. The next chapter is on the way and should Hopefully be out tomorrow.  Anyway I hope you all have a great day. good byeee!!