ORDER #1

🍪

THE ATMOSPHERE was merry, it was christmas season in mexico city - the santa cookies were out and everything smelt like vanilla and chocolate abuelita.
You manned the counter, sometimes even the kitchen, but that was rare. Ever since you almost burned down 2 batches of cookies back to back - your manager decided it was better you weren't put as a baker. The counter wasn't bad per say but it definitely had its moments. Definitely a job to remember.
Today was a pretty slow day, Wednesday's were always like this since who the fuck likes Wednesday? It's like the top piece of bread. You were on your phone, scrolling through tiktok and smiling to yourself - finding any stupid video as peak comedy.

You were so distracted that you didn't notice a customer enter.

He stood there for about 5 minutes, in silence, just staring at you until you noticed his quiet presence.

"Oh fuck."
You mumbled, stuffing your phone into your uniforms pockets and putting on some new plastic gloves.
"Shoot, I'm so sorry - I really shouldn't have been on my phone, I deeply apologize-"
You kept in pulling shit excuses out of your ass, trying to please this customer to not report you - you couldn't afford another meeting with your boss lecturing you about phones and how they are the new spawn of evil in the "new century".

"No need to worry, it's alright"
His voice took you by surprise, usually the people shopping here were tired parents or old grannies that just wanted to throw something together in a short notice - so when you heard someone around your age, you got startled.

Your head lifted
The guy was gorgeous, his hair was concealed by a black hat, he wore a black jacket and a black and pink shirt below. He had shorts and sneakers on, knee socks as well. A black backpack hung on by a shoulder and he had airpods in.
Wow, you thought, I love this job sometimes.

You quickly snapped out of it and cleared your throat.
"So, what may I get for you today?"
You rested your hands on the touchscreen register, the man in front of you was still looking around : you could tell he was looking for something specific.

"Are you looking for something in specific? Goods in the front aren't the only things we sell - plus we also offer custom orders!"

"Oh well, ehh me puedes dar unas galletas de azúcar con almendras? Obviamente si tienen eso."

Your face churned into a disgusted expression, in the time you had been working in a bakery - you had never heard of sugar almond cookies, maybe you just didn't like almonds but the thought of it made you physically gag.

And without thinking, you opened your mouth and muttered ;

"Ew que asqueroso pero okay.."

You didn't even realize what you said, you continued to tap away his order in the register - it was only until you looked up to get his signature when you realized he was looking at you quite surprised.

"Wow I didn't think they were that disgusting"
"What?"
"You said sugar almond cookies were disgusting."
"Did I really say that?"
"Yes, you did", to you - his voice sounded like he was upset.
"Well," You looked at him into the eyes, "I just think that they would have the texture of a sweater and they would taste bland."
You watched as his face morphed into a confused expression, "Well, I don't really remember asking for your opinion on your cookie preferences- so can I just get my cookies?"

Yikes, I must've hurt this guy over my almond cookies opinion.

"I apologize," You turned the register ipad towards the man, "Just sign here and i'll grab your uh, sugar almond cookies."

"You know, I don't like your attitude over my cookie preferences miss.." He squinted his eyes to your name tag, "Miss y/n!". He glided his finger on the ipad screen.

"Yea whatever, I apologize." You grabbed the cookie tong off of a metal stick and slid open a glass compartment behind the register.
"I mean you're a register clerk, not a baker - tu no sabes de que hablas."

You stop packing the almond cookies and slowly turn around, the man was standing there - his arms crossed and a faint smirk on his face.

"Ok now look here, Mr. Sugar almond cookies-" You pointed at him with the tongs, using them almost as a threat, "I want you to know that I'm absolutely great at baking and the reason I'm up here is because the kitchen can't handle my greatness."
You huffed, the man looked amused.

"Plus, At least I have a job - what even are you?"
You rolled your eyes, and tuned back around - continuing to back his disgusting almond cookies. You hoped they tasted like diapers.

"Selección Nacional Mexicana."

You stopped moving

"What?"
"Selección Nacional Mexicana, Club Braga"
"I'm not understanding?"
He sighed, "I work in soccer?"
You laughed, "What? As a water boy?" You tied the little bag with the almond cookies inside of it. You grabbed a few packets of sugar since your bakery shop didn't sell sugar almond cookies, only plain almond cookies.

"I'm a winger for club braga. Called up by the mexican soccer selection too."
"I don't believe a single word you say." You placed his pack of cookies with sugar packets on the counter and pressed more things on the register.
"Your total is 96 pesos."
"Look me up on google, you'll see I'm not lying."
"Your total is 96 pesos."
"You're just upset-"
"Your TOTAL is 96 PESOS. Are you going to pay or not?"

He went silent, he scoffed and pulled out his wallet, handing you a bill of 100 pesos. He grabbed his cookies and started walking away.
"You forgot your change-"
"Keep it, you obviously need it more than I do."

You watched his back as he walked away, over his backpack - his jacket was faltering a bit. You caught a glimpse of his shirt - it was a jersey.

On the back in bold letters, "LAINEZ"

You quickly pulled out your phone, pulling up google to look him up. Then you realized you don't know his first name.
You rolled your eyes in annoyance and just typed :
"Lainez soccer player club braga"

You pressed enter, and almost immediately you saw thousands of pictures of the exact same person who was just in front of you, upset about your opinion on sugar almond cookies.

Diego Lainez.

Fuck, you sighed, so he was telling the truth.

You didn't realize it at the moment, but you had just argued with a famous professional soccer player over the smallest thing ever. Over sugar almond cookies. Once you did realize, you were extremely embarrassed. You prayed that this was the first and last time you ever saw Diego Lainez ever again.

But you were so wrong.
You were no where near seeing Diego for the last time, not even close.

👩🏻‍🍳

a/n: AHH ITS MY FIRST TIME WRITING AGAIN SINCE FOREVERR.
i hope that this was a good first chapter for this book, im really excited to see where this goes and i hope u enjoy this and sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes:)
tysm for reading xoxo ♡
-K