Chapter 25

If you haven't already please read chapter 24 first. 

"London, honey I love you, but I told you this whole debutante ball was a bad idea." I hear my dad sigh.

 "I know. I know, that now. I just wanted the best for her. I thought it would help her..you know provide some normalcy so that she could cope and move on from the situation." Mom replies sounding disappointed in herself. 

"You should know better than anyone else that she needs time. To process. To heal. It's gonna take time and most importantly it must be on her own terms not the ones we create." Dad speaks as if he is trying to gently scold her. 

There's a brief silence followed by mom clearing her throat.

 "I know. I just want to make it better for her. My god she's only seventeen. Seventeen, Chuck. She doesn't deserve this. No one does. And I know we lived crazy lives at her age but we didn't have the support system that she does and yet we still found a way to fail her." Mom cries out.

 I immediately freeze from my spot in the hallway as I eavesdrop on their conversation when I hear dad let out a chocked-out sob. I've only seen him cry once my whole life. 

"We failed not only Willow but Whitney. How could I have not known that both of our daughters were in bad, dangerous relationships? We should have been there!" he cries out in anger. 

"Our babies. Our sweet babies." He continues to cry. 

Not being able to listen to any more of this I quietly sneak back upstairs. 

What appetite I did have is now completely gone. 

When I get back to my room, I begin to pace the floor. 

Back and forth. 

Back and forth. 

Running a hand through my hair I move to my closet.

 I'm on a mission. 

I throw on a pair of leather pants and a matching leather jacket and sneak my way back downstairs. 

Luckily, mom and dad were no longer in the kitchen, so I was able to just walk out the front door instead of sneaking off.

 The Lyft takes only a couple of minutes to arrive and the drive to Club 69 was also considerably short tonight. I hug my body tight as I fast walk into the club to get out of this frigid air outside.

 Once in I smirk to myself, oh how I've missed this place.

 Not bothering to take in my surroundings at all I make a be-line for the bar.

 "What can I get for you miss?" the bartender asks. 

"Tequila Sour please" I voice. 

This was one of Max's favorite drink so hopefully I like it. 

The bartender hands me my drink, "You wanna start a tab?" 

"No thank you." I smile apologetically.

 One drink, that's all. 

One drink isn't going to kill me. 

Grinning, I take my drink and make my way to the dance floor.

 It was easy to squeeze my way into a group of girls who were all dancing like there was no tomorrow. They didn't even bat an eye as I stood in the middle of their circle and began to dance with them. 

I bring my cup to my mouth and take a sip. 

Not bad at all, Max.

 I chug at least half of the drink immediately, laughing along with them.