Chapter 84

Declan's POV

To be honest I knew good and well what I was doing when I ended up at a coffee shop only a block away from Liam's place.

Last night was great!

All of my friends and family came together in celebration.

It felt nice to have the whole gang back together.

And don't even get me started on mom and dad, that's the happiest I'd seen them in quite some time.

They missed Liam just as much as I had and now that he's back it feels like we can have a real shot at being a family again.

However, my actions aren't really showing signs of being a real family if I purposely went to the same neighborhood my brother is in in hopes of running into his current girlfriend who is my ex-girlfriend.

But it's not like I had planned this out in advance.

After Montana and I got back to my place last night I went through all my gifts.

When I got to Willow's although it's technically Montana's I saw the card.

I re-read it about five times before I had to toss it back onto the nightstand so I could focus.

I was reading too into it.

I know I was, but I couldn't help myself.

There's a small part of me that thought 'okay she's read it, she knows how I feel, I mean how I felt. Surely, we can repair things, right?'

But then Montana came in, wearing next to nothing which distracted me for a while but when it got time to do the deed, I backed out saying I was too tired.

She handled it well, of course.

Note the sarcasm.

Tossed and turned all night telling myself that I have something really great with Montana right now and how I'd be an idiot to mess it up with her.

But Willow...kept finding herself back into my mind.

She minds my mind, endlessly.

If I could just speak with her one more time, address the note head on.

Something I would have shyed away from four years ago, then I could move on and give my all with Montana.

I have to, for Montana's sake as well as my brother's.

So, the first thing I did this morning when I got out of bed was text Kennedy and ask her if she knew where Willow was.

She replied embarrassingly quick with several emoji's that I've never seen before about Willow's current whereabouts.

And there I was forty minutes later at a coffee shop just minutes away from Liam's.

I know her and she needs coffee most morning in order to get going, especially on a cold morning like today.

Just as expected she came into the shop.

I spotted her before she spotted me, which was a relief.

That gave me some time to practice my reaction in my head when we eventually cross paths.

I pretend to type away at my computer as I hear her steps coming closer.

"Declan Kim." I hear.

Putting on my best acting skills I look up at her with surprise clear on my face.

Damn, I'm good at this.

Someone should give me an Oscar.

"Willow." I greet.

"Hey." Her laughter feels up the corner I'm tucked away in.

Warmth radiating off her.

"What are you doing over here?" she questions.

Didn't think about that excuse.

Thinking of something quick I answer her question, "Needed a new scenery" I pause to see if she's buying it.

"And I think it may have worked. I've gotten some stuff written down, it's all shit right now but at least I got something written down. More than what I've been able to get down...which is nothing." I say all in one breath.

"Oh, well that's exciting." She replies.

We continue to talk until they call her order.

Realizing she was about to leave without me getting to talk to her about the note I offer to walk her out.

With the New York air being its typical frigid self during the winter I give her my jacket...which gives me a reason to spend some more time with her until she gets to where she is going.

Once we make it to her studio and gallery, she leads me to the back where her studio is.

She gives me my jacket back as I look around the small space.

It's not as big as the one I gifted her, but she makes it work.

I watch her as she gets situated at one of her small desks to sketch.

I guess now is as good as any.

"I don't think I've had a chance to thank you yet, so thank you for the painting you made for me." I say as I rub the back of my neck.

"It's beautiful." I say softly as I look at some of her other work around the room.

"All your work is." I blurt out in wonderment.

"Thanks, but you should be thanking Montana. She asked for me to do it." She clarifies.

"Yeah, she told me. That was nice of her." I hum, but I'm not here to talk about her so I go ahead and ask my question, "The note you included with the painting...did you mean it?"

"Yeah?" she answers, unsure of herself.

I wonder if she's nervous about me bringing it up.

But I've got to do it.

"What you wrote about how you loved the poems from my book and how all you choose to remember are the good times between us...you meant it?" I ask with some hope in my voice.

She looks deep in thought after I ask my question.

It takes her a couple of seconds before she can respond, "Yeah, we had really good moments together. And you know that. I just wanted you to know that I know that and that there were no hard feelings between us. Your book was outstanding."

"Thank you, it means a lot." I smile softly.

Picking my words carefully, I say something in hopes of a certain response.

"And you're right, I know we had a lot of great moments together. I'm so happy we've been able to make some more good memories together since you've been back."

"Yeah, me too. It's a relief coming back and there being no hard feelings between us. At times it feels like I never left." She responds.

That's good.

Keep going Willow.

"I'm glad you came back." I tell her honestly.

"And I'm glad I could be your friend again." She replies.

Never mind, don't keep going Willow.

"Me too." I have no choice but to reply.

I throw a smile on my face, so it seems as if I'm alright.

....Declan, stop that shit out.

You are alright.

You've got Montana.

And she loves you and wants to be with you.

Don't mess this up.

Don't mess up this relationship that you've started with your brother.

Don't throw away something great.

...

Don't throw away something great.

That's all I can think of as I stand at the jewelers picking out a ring.