Chapter 86

Declan's POV

I can hear everything Willow is saying on the other side of the door as I sit on the end of my bed.

I'm trying to blink away my tears but I'm failing miserably.

"Please Declan."

A chocked-out sob leaves her body, but I can tell she's doing her best to cover it.

Her muffled sobs cause me to get up and walk towards the door.

But

But I can't open it.

She chose Liam with that call, and Liam's my brother..I can't betray him.

I just can't.

This will work out for us in the long run I keep telling myself.

She'll have a wonderful life with him, and I'll have one with Montana.

In fact, I'm sure we'll look back and laugh at this whole ordeal years from now.

But for now...

I have to put distance between us.

Until everything calms down.

Which means I've got to find a way out of here.

Spending the rest of the weekend here with Willow and driving back down to New York with her would just be cruel, to the both of us.

I walk over to the closet gathering my large duffle bag so I could start packing.

I'm nearly done when Obie bust through my door.

He's never been one for knocking.

"What the fuck happened?" Obie asks with a bite to his tone.

"Nothing happened. I got a call from my editor about a deadline for this thing I'm working on on the side and my laptop is back in New York, so I'm just gonna call it a weekend and head back." I lie.

"That's a fucking lie and your eyes are red, you've been crying." Obie scolds.

"Let's just drop it, alright?" I try.

Obie scoffs and shakes his head, turning his head to the side as he bites down on his bottom lip.

"Was it before or after the beach." He states calmly after taking a moment to himself.

"During and after." I sigh, sitting on the end of the bed.

"You didn't..?" he trails off.

"No, but...I wanted it to happen. And maybe it would have happened, but Liam called, and she chose him." I say after taking a deep breath.

"How do you know she chose him?" he questions.

"She answered him. Isn't that enough?" I ask with edge to my voice.

"Not necessarily." He shrugs.

"Regardless, it doesn't matter. I can't do that to Liam. Not after I just got him back." I speak.

"I get that Declan but it's also not fair to you, when you think about it, he's taken away love from you once already...are you going to let him do that again?" Obie questions.

In a way he's right...when he left, I had a hard time understanding what love is and what it could look like since someone that I thought I loved and loved me back could just up and leave like that. And now after so many years I found love again in her, and I let her go. But I have a chance to regain this love with her.