Chapter 76

Coffee with Declan had gone surprisingly well.

I was shocked when he called and even more shocked when he asked if I wanted to get coffee with him.

I'm glad I ended up going and taking an early lunch today to see him.

It felt good getting to catch up with a friend in a less chaotic scene like a club.

Liam's called ended the catch-up session a little early though, but he said there's an emergency at the gallery and with opening night being a week away that was a little concerning.

The walk back to the gallery was relatively short as I had the events of the coffee meeting on replay in my head.

"Liammm" I call out as I enter the gallery.

The entry part of the gallery was empty, no trace of him being there.

Concluding he must be in the back I walk down the hall to the first room on the right.

Seeing no trace of him there again I call out "Liam." Once more to be met with hands covering my eyes, "Don't scream." He rushes out.

"You have two seconds to get your hands off my eyes." I voice sternly.

He immediately drops them, raising his hands in surrender.

"Sorry." He speaks.

Playing the role of my life, I'm able to keep a serious face as I squint my eyes up at him.

"What's this emergency you speak of?" I continue with my serious tone.

"I have a surprise for you." He replies but it comes out more like a question.

"I don't do surprises, you know that." I say.

"Okay then look at it as an early celebration for our opening, not a surprise." He tries.

"An early celebration...why?" I question.

"Because..we deserve to celebrate our work that has gone into this launch. And, you know I was hoping I could spend some time with you outside of our work setting." He smirks at the end.

Oh...Oh

"What do you have planned?" I ask.

"Well, open this and find out." He suggests, passing me a box that he had somehow hidden behind him.

I open the box and my eyebrows raise in confusion as I look at a stencil or mockup of the replay button.

"What is this?" I question.

"Isn't it obvious?" he now questions.

"Think a little harder Willow." He suggests.

"Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday dear Willow"

The singing dies down and a smile brightly as I blow out the candles.

"Willow! Happy Birthday!!" Liam beams from beside me.

"Thanks, you all, seriously." I smile in appreciation at all my co-workers and friends that had joined to celebrate my birthday.

Emily and Liam had worked together to plan the whole thing for me.

All I had to do was show up.

This was the first time I had actually done something big for my birthday since I got to Paris.

As much as I love Grandma Lily and Aunt Serena it felt good to do something without them.