Chapter 41

I'm full-on crying as I walk down a secluded hall praying that I don't run into anybody. 

The things being said about me couldn't be further from the truth. 

Looking at some of the jury's faces there's no way I'm winning that case. 

So, Luke will get to walk around smug and unharmed while my name gets dragged through the mud. 

How could this happen? 

My legs feel weak, like I could collapse at any moment. 

It's getting harder to think straight, walk straight, and breathe.

 I pause holding onto a nearby wall for support. 

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath in and out. 

A small glimmer of peace occurs followed by a tap on my shoulder causing me to open my eyes quickly in surprise.

 God, I didn't want anybody to see me like this. 

I turn around to come face to face with Declan. 

I quickly start to brush off my tears not wanting to cry in front of him, but he politely stops me.

 "Willow I'm - ". 

"No, no. Please don't say it." A few tears make their way down my cheeks despite my best efforts. 

"Don't feel sorry for me. I- I can't." I start to fumble on my words out of anger and sadness. 

"Y-you were the only person that never looked at me like that and now you are." 

I'm full on crying again.

 "Please don't look at me like that." I beg as I slide down the wall. 

It's too hard to stand on my own right now. 

To my surprise he sits down with me on the floor. 

Instead of saying anything he just lets me cry it all out, eventually rubbing gently circles on my back.

 "Do you believe them?" I whisper once I calm down. 

"No." he replies back. 

I look up at him in confusion.

 "You don't have to lie to me. I know you believe them, hell I would believe them if I was the jury." I rasp out. 

"Well, it's a good thing I'm not in the jury then." He voices. 

"Willow, I know you...And I know guys like him. Scum of the earth. I believe you. I always have and I always will." Declan says softly. 

"Why?" I question out loud. 

"Because, I've gotten to know you. I see you." He answers.

 I put my head in my hands, shaking it a couple of times in disbelief. 

"He's gonna get to walk away from this unaffected while I will be picked on, ridiculed, labeled. It doesn't make sense." I state.

 "Why does this happen?" I question rhetorically.

 "I can't go back in that court room." I whisper. 

"You can and you will. Luke is going to lose this." Declan tries to encourage me.

 "You don't know that." I say with no emotion. 

"I know that you can't give up like this. If you walk back in there with your head down, then you've given him another victory. Don't let him win."