Chapter 28

Hmm the house is a little too quiet this morning.

 It's Valentine's Day Week, typically a big week in the Bass household.

 Mom and dad claim the holiday itself doesn't mean anything yet every year we, we'll they, have a week-long celebration. 

Dinners out in town every night of the week and them spending the night somewhere on the actual day. 

Yet it's radio silent.

 No decorations, no lovey dovey music playing in the kitchen. 

Weird. 

"Where's the music?" I question once I enter the kitchen and see mom and dad at the island drinking coffee together. 

"Ohh we decided to scale it down this year. No crazy celebrations just us. How it should always be." Mom smiles warmly. 

"Why the sudden change of heart?" I ask as I grab a water from the fridge. 

"We just thought it would be best." Dad answers. 

"You two suck at lying. I don't how you were able to take advantage of so many people in high school." I sigh. 

Mom gasps at this. 

"We did not take advantage of anyone we just knew how to get out way." Mom defends herself.

 "Taking advantage, manipulation, however you want to frame it, you two have clearly lost your touch." I smirk wanting to get a rise out of mom. 

Mom looks appalled by this, but dad gives me an approving smirk. 

"Okay, let's try honesty. You wanna know why we scaled it all down this year, huh?" dad starts but mom hits his arm to indicate to him to shut up.

 "Your sister is going through a rough time. She told us to scale it down this year so it wouldn't be a constant reminder that she is spending the holiday single for the first time in..well..ever." dad informs me.

 I grow sad upon hearing that. 

Whitney didn't tell me she's been having a rough time. 

"Oh, well. That's nice of you all. I'll have to call her on the way to school." I sadly sigh and collect my things to leave. 

As I'm leaving the kitchen, I hear dad let out an "Oww! What was that for?" 

"That's seriously the best you could come up with. Oh my god, what if she's right and we have lost our ways." Mom gasps. 

Sooo Whitney is okay? 

Then what's the real reason?

I decided to spend lunch in the art room. 

There's an art assignment I'm behind on. 

I haven't quite felt motivated to do anything art related in a while, but I need to do get this assignment done so hopefully I'll be able to put something together. 

I've been hard at work for about twenty minutes when Obie walks in. 

I pull out my Airpods dramatically and ask him "What the hell are you doing here?" 

"Your brother said I could find you in here." He replies.

 "Well, you found me, you can leave now." I give a fake smile. 

Obie sighs at this. 

"Look Willow, Westin explained to me the whole Grace and Natalie thing and I just wanted to say I'm sorry." I ignore him though still shading my piece.