It's not funny

Chapter 9

The same day, 5:13 pm

In the bunker

Dean's POV

I'm in the kitchen, about to get started on dinner. I finally got a break from Jayla trying to fight with me. She likes to rough house, but she doesn't understand that I'm a lot bigger than she is, and that I could hurt her if I'm too rough with her. It would be an accident, but I'd feel horrible, if I hurt her. She doesn't understand that I can't rough house with her, the way I do with Sam. I don't wanna risk hurting her, because I was a little too rough. I know she just wants to play, but she needs to understand that everybody has limits. I'm lost in my thoughts when I hear what sounds like glass breaking. What the fuck was that?

Sam: What was that? He calls in the direction of Jayla's room.

Jayla: Um...nothing...?

Dean: Jayla Lynn, what the hell was that? Did you break something? I call to her, knowing that she's more likely to answer me.

She's not scared of Sam. She's not scared of him finding out that she broke something. He always goes easy on her. But me? She knows that I'm not gonna go easy on her, with certain things. Like breaking things. I don't know if she broke something on purpose, or if it was an accident. I'm gonna hope that it was an accident.

Jayla: No...

Dean: You have one chance to be honest with me before I come back there. Did you break something?

Jayla: Well...maybe...

Dean: I'm coming.

I leave the kitchen and start heading to Jayla's room. Once there, I find her staring at her broken lamp, on the floor. She's got a shocked look on her face, as if she didn't expect this to happen. I wanna be mad, but at the same time, I'm curious. How the hell did this happen? Sam and I took our eyes off of her for 10 minutes, and she's already broken something?

Dean: What the hell happened?

Jayla: Um...well there was a spider...

Dean: Ok...but that doesn't tell me why your lamp is shattered, on the floor.

Jayla: I didn't have anything to kill it with, and my lamp was the closet thing...so I kinda-

Dean: Jayla Lynn Winchester, please don't tell me you used a lamp to try to kill a spider.

Jayla: Fine. I won't tell you. But the evidence is right in front of you.

Could she not have come get me or Sam to kill the spider? She had to use a fucking lamp? I can't even be mad about it. Because this is 100% something that I would do. How the hell am I supposed to be mad at her for doing something that I'd have done? I wanna laugh, but she looks nervous now, probably because she thinks I'm gonna get mad at her. I'm not mad, I'm just having trouble not laughing.