Chapter 10

Tia's POV

I went up to Elyar's cave and looked inside. He was sitting against the wall with his head in his hands. He wasn't upset, he just looked frustrated. He lifted his head but he didn't look at me.

"You shouldn't be here," he said.

"I want to be here."

"Well you shouldn't," he said standing up.

He seemed more annoyed with himself than me.

"Elyar I don't care that you ran from James. He's really strong and-"

"You don't understand," he said cutting me off.

"Elyar it's ok."

"No it isn't."

"Why not?"

"I could've fought James but I didn't."

"It's fine. I don't care."

"Well I do because I'm a coward," he said pacing around.

"You're not a coward."

"I am."

"You're not."

"I am because I'm the Gold Wolf!" he shouted.

There was a silence as he looked down at the floor. He looked ashamed.

"I was the one that abandoned his kingdom. I'm the one that ran from their family. I'm the reason the kingdom has separated into packs that fight everyday," he said. "I'm the one who destroyed everything."

I didn't respond to him. I only went up to him, put my arms around his neck and kissed him. He kissed me back and held me by my waist bringing me closer. I pulled away and looked into his eyes.

"I don't think you're a coward. I think you're very brave. You've been alone so long," I said putting my hand on his cheek.

He relaxed into my hand and I stroked his face with my thumb. He closed his eyes and growled quietly but affectionately. He opened them again and returned his eye line to mine.

"What would I ever do without you?" he said quietly moving a strand of hair behind my ear.

I kissed him again and he kissed back pulling me closer. The kiss deepened as he traced his tongue along my bottom lip and I allowed him entry. He dominated the kiss as his tongue explored my mouth. The kiss was getting more passionate until someone coughed from behind us. We both turned around to see Brad standing there unimpressed.

"So this is the gold wolf. Sorry to interrupt but I've been standing down there for ages," he stated.

Elyar and I separated and looked at the floor embarrassed. I could almost feel Brad smirking from the mouth of the cave. I decided to try and break the awkwardness.

"Um Elyar, this is Brad one of our pack members," I said gesturing to Brad.

"And she's my best friend. I don't want her to get hurt so you'd better not do anything stupid," Brad replied with a stern expression.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Elyar said putting an arm around me.

I looked up at him and he smiled which made me smile too. Brad's expression softened as he saw us and nodded.

"That's good," he said simply.

"Well, I was just about to hunt. Would you two like to come?" Elyar asked.

"We don't have very long and James is out hunting. He'd see you," Brad warned.

"If you haven't eaten then you should go hunt," I said.

"No it's ok. If you're not here for that long then I'll wait until you have to go."

Brad and I nodded and we sat talking for a while. I sat with Elyar on one side of the cave and Brad with his back to the bed a little bit away from us. The fire was burning in the middle of the cave but Brad was sat close to it warming his hands.

"How were things after I left?" Elyar asked.

"It was a little rough," I replied.

"What happened?"

"James got a little mad."

"A little mad? Tia he was outraged," Brad clarified.

I remembered how angry James was and remembered what I had told him. I loved James and I didn't want him to be upset but after I told him he wasn't my brother I felt really bad. Tears started welling up in my eyes and Elyar tightened his arm around me in a comforting gesture.

"Tia what's wrong?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"I told James he wasn't my brother," I said my voice breaking half way through the sentence.

Elyar put both arms around me and hugged me letting me cry into his chest. I looked up and saw Brad looking a little lost. He was usually the one to comfort me when I was upset with James. He looked sympathetic but almost happy that I had Elyar.

"It'll get better," Brad said.

"I'm sure James regrets what he said," Elyar added.

I nodded but just stayed in Elyar's embrace. After a while I relaxed enough to talk. We chatted for the rest of the time we spent with Elyar. He and Brad actually got along very well which I was happy with. Eventually Brad got suspicious of the boys' timing and we decided to leave. I hugged Elyar and he kissed my cheek goodbye before we walked down the mountain.

"Well, he's a nice guy," Brad started.

"Yeah, I'm glad you get along," I smiled.

"How do you plan on seeing him again?"

"I don't know. Probably waiting for you guys to go on raids or go hunting. Apart from that I doubt I'll ever get a chance to see him," I sighed.

"I'll help you guys. I mean there's not a lot I can do but I can howl when the boys are finished hunting or raiding. That'll give you enough time to get home," he suggested.

"Thank you Brad," I said hugging him.

He stopped walking and embraced the hug. I really did love Brad. He was like my second brother. He understood me better than James did. I knew I could trust him. Ever since we found him Brad and I were inseparable. James did get annoyed in case there was something going on but there never was.

We pulled away from the hug and I could see the warm smile on Brad's face. Then he got a look of mischief instead.

"Race ya!" he said wolfing out and running off.

"Hey!" I shouted before taking off after him.

We raced over the hill and down the side of it until eventually we reached the house. Brad won but he got a head start! He turned back into his human form and laughed.

"I won!" he cheered.

"Only because you cheated," I said walking into the house.

"Come on you know I would've beaten you anyway," he teased.

"Whatever, do you want tea?" I asked going over to the kettle.

"Yes please," he said closing the door.

I made us tea and we sat chatting about anything we wanted to.