CHAPTER 34

It was 4 o'clock in the morning, and Pravisht just finished his last business meeting and was driving home. He badly needs a black tea at the usual stall where he and Sumedh used to spend time. As Sumedh usually stays up late while watching anime, Pravisht thought he would be awake and called him. But he didn't answer the call. When he checked Sumedh's last seen on WhatsApp, it shows a day ago. This made him suspicious of Sumedh's well-being. Sumedh is not a person who is always on his phone but for one whole day, is quite impossible.

Just then, Pravisht remembered that Sumedh said he wanted to confess his love for Mallika. But there were no updates from him.

"Is he alright? Did he confess to Mallika? What was Mallika's reaction? I need to check on him!" Pravisht stepped on the accelerator pedal full force, driving towards Sumedh's house. In less than half an hour, Pravisht reached his destination. He was puzzled seeing the unlocked door. He went inside but he can't find him anywhere he possibly would be. His final hope was the room which he barely enters. A room with his mother's treasures.

When Pravisht opened the door, he found Sumedh laying on the floor, hugging his knees while crying like a kid. Pravisht was flabbergasted. He never cries for anyone except for his mom. Now, after all these years, did he remember his mom again? If not, his valuable tears are for whom?

"Buddy!" Pravisht knelt and made Sumedh sit straight. The tear stain on Sumedh's puppy red face was the result of being a crying mess for hours.

"Shhhh... What has happened?" Pravisht asked wiping away the tears on Sumedh's face.

"M.. Ma..." Sumedh tried to speak but he was choked with grief and helplessness.

"Maa? You.. you miss maa, is it?" Pravisht assumed to which Sumedh shook his head as a 'no'.

"Mallika!" Sumedh finally said her name.

"Why with her? Did she say no? She can't say so! She.. loves you!" Pravisht said as Anika told him everything excluding Mallika's past.

"I know that, but she thinks I deserve better!"

"Better? What does she mean?" Pravisht asked. Sumedh remembered Mallika's words to not reveal about her to anyone.

"She has been through alot. Almost like me but worse. For that, she thinks I deserve better!" Sumedh said.

"So, she said no! That's the reason for your grief?" Pravisht asked in confusion.

"And also her pain. Her pain is mine too! I have no idea that I would love someone this much that what they've been through pierced every inch of my soul!"

"Okay, Sumedh. Calm down. We'll figure this out. You need to rest. You look absolutely tired. Your body would go weak if you refuse to sleep."

"Every time I close my eyes, I only can see her image. My skin feels the wetness of her tears and her sobs hit my eardrums! I feel so useless that I wasn't able to do anything about her condition." Sumedh punched his thigh.

"Sumedh, you gotta relax. Whatever has happened to Mallika, I'm sure it's from her past. No one can change the past, plus you don't even know her back then. Why don't you focus on the present and future? You shall the responsibility to not let her pain affect her ever again. Think about that. You're not at fault, not at all. Calm down. When you're stressed, you won't be able to think properly. Come, let's sleep." Pravisht decided to stay over at Sumedh's house as his best friend is not in a stable condition. He texted his mom and informed her that he won't be home.

At the same time, he sent a voice note to Anika regarding what happened. He badly wants to end the pain of his best friend. Such friends are blessings that we shouldn't care less about. Do you agree with me?

Anika woke up to Pravisht's message in the morning and rushed to Mallika's house

Anika woke up to Pravisht's message in the morning and rushed to Mallika's house. Anika greeted Ruby but Ruby didn't reply as she always thought that if Mallika weren't friends with Anika, she wouldn't have known about Sumedh. We all know it's crap but let's get back to the story. Anika went to Mallika's room, where she was dancing. Yes, you read that right. She was doing Kathak. With the wet dress she wore yesterday, sweat beads all over her skin, red and steaming skin, yet a pair of eyes that are weak but dry. Her dark circles were worse than ever.

Anika was befuddled. She thought Pravisht's statement and Mallika's action didn't match until her eyes fall on Mallika's feet. They were as red as plum. There were blisters too. Anika pushed her onto the couch.

"How long have you been dancing? Did you see your feet? They are wounded!" Anika sat on the floor, wiping Mallika's feet gently with her shawl. Mallika was sitting quietly with a straight face. Anika searched for ointment and applied it to Mallika's feet. Mallika has been dancing, with no music, no proper attire, and no emotion since she was back from her clinic yesterday.

"Mallika, did you say no to Sumedh?" Anika asked to which Mallika nodded.

"Why on earth? Mallika, you love him too right?" Anika was frustrated.

"Yes, but..."

"Don't say it's about your past! You're not at fault, Mallika!"

"I know I am not at fault, but... If I say this I might sound rude. You'll never understand unless you put yourself in my shoes. And, I'm sure he understands he deserves better." Mallika said.

"What? What makes you say that?"

"He ignored me. I might sound silly, but the one who always doesn't miss eye contact with me turned his face away from me. What else should this mean?"

"Impossible! There's something beyond what you think Mallika!" Anika argued. "Fine, put that all aside first, you need to rest. Look at you. You're too weak. Come, drink this juice, and sleep." Anika offered her a bottle of juice that she brought from her house. She was sure that Mallika wouldn't have slept or eaten anything. So, she diluted a sleeping tablet in it. Soon, after drinking the juice, Mallika slipped into slumber.

Anika is a friend worth to be devoted forever she is, isn't she?
___________________________________________

Don't forget to

VOTE ✅
COMMENT ✅
SHARE ✅
FOLLOW MY IG: parmitha.writes❤️