CHAPTER 54

With eyes brimming in her eyes, plastering a smile on her face, although she was not happy on the inside, Mallika waved her hand to her husband in his pilot uniform. Anvisht and Mallika's family were there to send him off. Sumedh went halfway but returned to Mallika in a run. He pulls her into a kiss.

He cupped her face and said, "Take care, Jaan. You've not been so well lately. I'm worried about you but I have to go. Make sure you go to the hospital if you don't feel well, okay? And EAT ON TIME! I won't be happy seeing you skipping your meals. Okay?"

Mallika could no longer hold her tears, she hugged Sumedh tightly and drenched his uniform with her tears. "I will miss you, Sumedh!"

"Me too, love! I'll be back soon. Bye!" Sumedh kissed her for one last time before leaving.

That night during dinner, Mallika was sitting at her dining table staring at the food on her plate and another empty plate next to her, which usually Sumedh would in on. She was playing with her pasta with the fork but had no mood to eat without him. They had promised to eat together at least once a day, but now, they can't. She was on the verge of tears as she missed her husband until her phone rang. It was Sumedh on video call.

"Hi, sweetheart!" Sumedh exclaimed.

"Hi, love!" Mallika was excited.

"It's our dinner time. I'm having sandwiches, what are you eating?" Sumedh asked while munching a bite of the delicious sandwich.

"Pasta!" Mallika said taking a bite of her food too. She felt so much light now after having her dinner with Sumedh, at least virtually.

For dinner, she was able to see him. But what would she do to sleep? She's used to sleeping on his chest instead of a pillow every night. She needs his smell to fall asleep. She tried various times to fall asleep but she failed. In the end, she took one of Sumedh's sweatshirts and stuffed a pillow in it. She rested her head on it. Sometime later, she managed to fall asleep. This is what attachment can do to one when the person we love is not with us. Mallika has successfully managed her day 1 without Sumedh. What about the remaining 13 days?

Days passed by, and Mallika had been 11 days away from Sumedh. Mallika had difficulties handling herself without Sumedh. Mallika begins to realise that she's falling sick without his presence, which is a serious case. She's feeling nauseous, and dizzy, has cramps and even a delayed period. These can be some of the severe symptoms of 'unidentified stress'. She thought of prescribing herself medication, but according to psychology's ethics, it's wrong. So, Mallika visited one of her colleagues and asked for a prescription.

"Mallika, I know you like psychology. But I can say, you are too much into it now!" Her colleagues, Bani said.

"Why is that so, Bani?"

"You look at yourself from the psych aspect but not from the physical health aspect."

"Huh?"

Bani took out a pregnancy kit and gave it to her. "Use this!"

Only then did Mallika realise, that the symptoms she had were not from stress but could be from pregnancy. Mallika took the test thinking it would be negative. But it wasn't. It shows a double line, which means Mallika is pregnant. To be sure, Mallika asked for another test kit from Bani. It seems both the test kits showed positive results. Mallika's hands begin to tremble. Her eyes pooled with tears of joy. A life is growing in her little womb now. She touched her belly and caressed it.

"Bani! I'm pregnant!" Mallika exclaimed and hugged her.

"Congratulations, Mallika. You should inform your husband!" Bani suggested.

"Yaa.. no! Wait! I saw how excited he was when our best friend got pregnant. I don't want our pregnancy reveal to be in such a simple way. In 3 more days, he will be here. I'm going to surprise him with some creative ideas. Before that, no one including my mom and my bestie." Mallika clapped her hands like a little kid. She drove home safely and thanked her Krishna for the beautiful boon He gave them.

Mallika wanted to eat something spicy. So she decided to cook herself. After having her lunch, Mallika turned on her laptop and began to search for ideas on how to surprise her husband about her pregnancy. After hours of research, she has finally made her decision. And now, she can't wait for that day Sumedh would return.

That night, Sumedh did a video call again to Mallika. Mallika was looking unusually extra happy today. Sumedh asked her about it but she said it was because she was going to see him soon. Although she wants to say it to him, she wants to surprise him upon his arrival at their home.

The next day, Mallika went to the hospital to register her pregnancy and to take her medication. After that, she went to the decorations shop to buy some stuff that was needed for the surprise she planned.

She is so thrilled about how would Sumedh react to this news. She cannot wait for the day he will come back.

And the day has arrived...

TBC🦋

Don't forget to

VOTE ✅
COMMENT ✅
SHARE ✅
FOLLOW MY IG: parmitha.writes ❤️