CHAPTER 46

The rising sun's bright rays fall on Sumedh's moon which was sitting in front of the mirror. Mallika was wearing a purple cotton saree which stood out for her fair complexion. Ruby gave Mallika the golden pieces of jewellery that she bought for Mallika. Mallika picked a tiny pair of jhumkas and a choker. She braided her hair loosely and wrapped it with jasmine flowers. Last but not least, a tiny black bindi between her eyebrows added more beauty to her traditional look.

"Let's go!" Ruby called her.

"Where's Anika?" Mallika pouted. She can never be away from her best friend on her important days.

"Today, she's not your bestie, but Sumedh's sister!" Ruby said. Mallika rolled her eyes.

Mallika walked down the staircase with all her grace. Sumedh who was nervously shaking his leg paused as he heard her anklets' sound. His eyes fell on his love who was stunning in her saree. The fragrance of jasmine, he didn't know whether the fragrance of jasmine was from the flowers on her hair or from every pore of her skin. His face was as bright as the sun. Mallika was having butterflies in her tummy.

Mallika did 'namaste' to which Sumedh, Anika and Pravisht laughed. She was never this obedient when all four friends were together. Her dead stare was enough to shut them up.

"Namaste papa & maa!" Sumedh paused and exhaled. He was anxious.

"Today, I came here with my best friends, Pravisht and Anika who I consider as my family, and of course my mom..." Sumedh took his mom's photo frame and placed it next to him on the couch and continued, "...to ask your beloved daughter's hand for marriage."

"Maa and Papa, I'm sure you loved your daughter so much all these 26 years. But I guess it's my turn to pour all the love and care she needs for the rest of her life. This parentless man here may or may not know how it is to be loved, but I know how to love." Pravisht held Sumedh's shoulder as he got emotional.

"Sumedh.." Mallika sat beside him, taking his mother's picture into her arms. She touched the photo and then her forehead indicating respect for her mother-in-law.

"You've assured my parents about how you would take care of me. And now it's my turn. I might not take care of you like how you imagined that your mother would have taken care of you. But I can assure you I would take care of you like how I would take care of my child. You're my first child!" Mallika wiped the tear droplet on his cheek with her thumb. Sumedh scoffed at happiness.

"You both look so good together!" Shiva and Ruby said in unison.

"We certainly agree to give my child as an alm to you, Sumedh! Have a great future ahead. May both of your wounded souls be pampered by each other?" Ruby said remembering what has happened to her daughter in the past.

Sumedh and Mallika held hands while sitting next to each other.

"So what's next?" Pravisht asked.

"Dowry!" Ruby said.

"Huh?" All four friends looked at her in confusion.

"Sumedh, we are not that rich to give Mallika a lot. But I certainly did save some gold and money for her. Do you want anything else? A car, or land? We can't promise one, but we will try our best!"

"Maa, all I want is your daughter, and ONLY her. She's the most precious thing I can have. No gold, diamonds and money could buy her. There's no way for dowry ma. Gifts for your daughter are fine, but not in the form of dowry, please!" Sumedh said politely. Shiva and Ruby were overwhelmed by his humbleness.

"We are blessed to have you as our son-in-law. Alright, so when can we fix the engagement?"

"Right now?"

"Now?" Shiva was shocked.

"Papa, we already had a proposal personally which I consider to be an engagement too. So right now we can have another one just for the sake of tradition and all your involvement in it." In some cultures, the engagement's cost is completely covered by the bride's family. Sumedh was trying his best to minimize their spending without making them feel guilty. Shiva and Ruby agreed to what he said. Pravisht took out two boxes from each side of his pockets.
It was their engagement rings.

Anika brought a silver tray of garlands

Anika brought a silver tray of garlands. She gave it to Sumellika and asked them to wear it. Later, she also gave flower petals to each of the family members. As Sumellika exchanged the rings, all of them showered flowers on them. Sumedh gave a silver tray of saree, bangles, turmeric, vermilion and flowers to Mallika as a part of the tradition. After that, Ruby brought them to the prayer room.

Looking at her Lord's statue, Mallika closed her eyes and smiled. 'You're making it happen. Thank you so much, Krishna!' She thought. On the other hand, Sumedh closed his eyes. 'I'm sorry for scolding you the other day. You are the one who opened my eyes. Thanks for showing me the right way Krishna! No wonder, Mallika loves you so much!' Sumedh smiled unknowingly. After that, they did Aarti and headed towards the dining table to have their breakfast.

Ruby and her two daughters-in-law prepared Dosa, Paranta, Idli and Poori along with Coconut chutney, dhal, aloo masala and paneer butter masala for breakfast. Of course, all the dishes are mouth-watering. While eating, they were discussing the further process of the wedding.

"So, straight to Mehendi and Sangeet?" Pravin asked.

"Uhm, no bro. We will start with a pre-wedding photoshoot. Someone has a huge fantasy about it!" Sumedh chuckled and received an elbow punch from Mallika. The family members were eating and laughing, having some of the best times of their life.

"I've already booked our slot. It's from the coming Monday till Wednesday in another city. We are required to travel, so..."

"Ya ya, no problem. You both are halfway married now. So no worries!" Shiva laughed. And so, the entire family.

*******

Hey guys! Thanks for waiting all these days. I hope you have not forgotten me or my story.

Don't forget to

VOTE✅
COMMENT ✅
SHARE ✅
FOLLOW MY IG: parmitha.writes❤️