Learn to Pick your Fights

Anyways, so the following day, I woke up slightly disoriented as well because of pulling an all-nighter outdoors searching for food. We were planning to go to the Universal Studios for a new change of scene. We happily went there via a street bus from Downtown LA, which did not take us a long time reaching there. We had a great time not until my sister and I decided to buy some souvenirs for ourselves there. It was in 2017, not long after the craze for Harry Potter themed area in the studio was over, well not entirely over indeed. There were so many people there in the area; we queued for two long hours just to get on a children's ride Hippogriff coaster ride, where children under 5 have been craving to ride on that "bird" over and over again. 

This is the thing about Asian parents: they always have double standards for their children and they expect so much from their children, especially the elder ones. Elder ones always seem to bear so many more responsibilities and baggage than the younger ones, but for no apparent reasons. Without further ado, let me explain. After queuing for the most popular rides in the Harry Potter World, we were looking at the Harry Potter souvenirs at the souvenir shop. It was very crowded that I could smell sweats from people squeezing around me and trying to get Harmonie plush toys and could bleed my ears out with screams and noises from the roller coaster area.

My sister picked out a black Gryffindor cap out of the pile of caps and called it her hat. She reached for the cashier as I stopped her, "Wait, if you're buying a cap, I would want to buy something too." And then she blurted, "You ask mum." At that instant, I was thinking if my mum and sister were buying something from this magical place, I would want something for myself to call myself a wizard too. I went to ask my mum. But to my dismay, my mum did not let me buy anything from there. I went nuts thinking, why is it so unfair that my sister gets to buy something that I cannot have? Because apparently, I am the elder one and therefore, even if my sister gets to buy something, it does not entirely mean that I get to as well. 

I was very angry and pissed and started to get petty with my mum. I asked why was it so unfair and she kept saying that it was because my sister needed a hat to cover herself from the shade of the sun. It was an awful night marked by incessant arguments and pettishness. Now that I think back, I should not have started this argument with my mum, because it led us nowhere. I did not get the hat but I had the worst day ever I had with my mum. I did not want this neither but I led myself to it. 

But what I learnt from this experience is that, sometimes it is just important to let it go. You do not always need to right about everything. Sometimes, you have to pick your fights and realize that, it is not wise and worthy to start fights with someone whom matter to you because at the end of the day, both of you get hurt and you get nothing out of it. It will eventually be a lose-lose situation. Lesson number five, learn to pick your fights and be wise about your decisions.