𝟏𝟐

THREE MONTHS LATER

THREE MONTHS LATER

"I just don't want you to get too attached to this boy and end up getting hurt, Kiana. Kevin seems like a sweet boy from what you tell me but I know you. And you don't handle death very well." My mom says as we walk into Nordstrom.

Growing up, I was lucky enough not to experience death as much. I didn't have any friends that were getting murdered or anything and I'm grateful for that. The most death I've experienced is the death of my grandpa on my mom's side.

But when I found out he died and I wouldn't be able to see him again I got so scared and caused myself to have an anxiety attack. Death scares me. The unknown life after death is what scares me most.

"Mom, Im fine." I sighed.

I didn't want to think about the chance of Kevin dying. We're starting to build a really close bond and I know for a fact I would be devastated if something were to happen to him.

"Kevin will pull through. The doctors said he's doing fine and he may be able to go home soon. The anti-rejection medicine and antibiotics are helping him. Plus he hasn't had any scares as of lately. Im supposed to go see him Friday to help pack his room up at the hospital."

"Okay, well that's good then. Tell him I'm praying for him. And I only want to protect you," she kisses my cheek before walking over to the section where various items from SKIMS were hanging on racks.

"Do you want something from out of here?" She asked as she looked for her size.

"Yes." I quickly responded, glad that we switched over to a lighter topic.

Just the topic of death made me uneasy.

"Get whatchu want. I got ya' daddy card." She grinned while holding my dads card up before putting it back into her purse.

"Period." I cheesed before walking off to find something that I would like.

Once I was finished picking out a couple of things I liked, I met back up with my mom so we could pay.

"Ya' dad wants some soul food from that spot we always go to. You want some of that or you want to get something different?" She asks while placing the card back in her wallet after putting the pin in.

"I want some of the soul food." I pick up half of the bags and my mom picks up the other bags and we walk out of the store.

"Did you talk to your sister today? She take her little ass to college and act like she can't talk to nobody." My mom frowned her face up.

She has really bad separation anxiety when it comes to her kids.

"Nope. She acting real fake and ion like that for her."

Ever since Kiara went away to college at Morgan State she's been living her best life from what it looks like on her story. I can't wait until it's my turn to go off to college.

My mom popped the trunk of the car as we got closer. We placed our bags inside the trunk and went to get in the car.

My mom picked her phone up and showed me the FaceTime banner that popped up on her phone."Look this her right now, too."

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey, mommy."

"Hey, baby. I ain't hear from you all damn week. What you been up to?"

My mom is a clingy parent. She wanted to know where we were at all times and couldn't go too long with out talking or checking up on us.

𐩃

My mom and I were now at home, getting settled. I sat the bag of food down on the table while my mom went upstairs to call my dad down to help get the rest of the bags out of the car.

My dad did one of those loud dramatic yawns while coming down the steps.

I looked over at him and smacked my lips. "All that hot ass breath."

"Girl, bye. I'll take all that shit that you brought with my card back."

"Bye, Damien. Nobody's scared of you." I smacked my lips.

He bucked at me and snatched the keys up off the counter. "I don't who you talking to. Matter fact Ima take allat shit back myself."

I bucked at him right back, still not believing nothing he was saying. "You won't. I'll tell mommy."

"Ya momma' don't run shit. I do what I want up in here.

"Who don't run what?" My mom yelled from the bathroom that we had downstairs.

It was quiet. No one had said anything for a second.

"Oh okay. I thought so. Go get them bags out my car Damien."

I laughed at my dad's face and stuck my tongue out at him, teasing him. "You heard her. Go get them bags."

"