Chapter 11 : The Drive

"You know, I'm really scared of you now Sofie." 

"No Jonathan! Don't be! I'm already scared and traumatized enough."

"Fine, I'll still love you the same, freak." He said, while hugging me. 

"Jonathan." Mom warned.

"Sorry." He said, laughing.

"Now, we need to get to business. We have to find Will."

"No." 

"No? What do you mean no, Mom?" 

"I don't want either of you near this. I don't want it to get you guys too."

"Mom, we'll be fine. We can help you." I said confidently. 

"Sofie, listen to me. I just got you back. I'm not losing you again. I still have to find your brother and I can't do that if you're in danger." 

"Mom, I think Sofie is right. You need our help."

We watched her carefully. I could see the doubt in her eyes. I know she doesn't want us to get hurt, but we won't find Will if we don't work together. 

"No. You're not getting involved." 

I opened my mouth to protest, but she didn't let me. 

"That is final. I have to get to work, but both of you just stay here." She told us while she walked around the house collecting her things before walking out the door. 

Once I heard the car turn on and leave, I turned to look at Jonathan. 

"We're getting involved behind her back, aren't we?"

"Yup."

"We're in such deep shit." 

"Yup." 

We fell into a comfortable silence, before I broke out laughing. 

"Why are you laughing, freak?" 

"Because I cannot believe that I'm back home after such a long time in hell." 

"Sofie, what happened in that place? You know you can tell me things that you can't tell mom. We've been through everything together, remember?" 

"Yeah. I just don't know if you can handle this truth, Jonathan." 

"Try me."

It took a while, but I told Jonathan everything. I just really hoped I didn't scare the shit out of Jonathan. 

"So... what did you think." 

"Did that really happen to you?" 

"If it didn't, I wouldn't have told you." 

"I just can't believe you saw and went through all that." 

"I know it's hard to understand, but I'm okay now Jonathan. I'm gonna be okay." 

"I really hope so Sofie. Are... are you sure about what you saw? That night with Will?"

"Everyone keeps making me feel like I'm wrong about what I saw, so I'm not so sure anymore."

"It's cause I had this theory that maybe Lonnie did it." 

"Lonnie? Why?" 

"Because one day when I stayed home, he called mom. I heard them arguing and he was talking about how he wanted all of us to go live with him. He wanted to take us away from mom."

"Why would his drunk ass need us? He doesn't even like us."

"I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to go and check his house anyway." 

"I don't know Jonathan. I'm not sure. i swear he was taken by a monster. The same one I saw in the bathtub at the lab." 

"It doesn't hurt to try Sofie."

"Fine. I'll go with you." 

We decided that the trip wouldn't be that long and that we could leave and get back before mom even got back from work. This could work. 

We were in the car for about an hour now. We talked and talked about everything and nothing. We went silent for a while and then it started playing. Will's song. It was playing on the radio. I closed my eyes and listened. 

1979

Jonathan turned up the volume on the radio as mom and dad argued louder than ever. I got up off of Jonathan's bed and shut the door all the way. I locked the door and made my way back over to where I was originally sitting. 

They were arguing because dad wasn't going to come to Will's baseball game. He was the one who forced him to do it in the first place and now he wasn't even gonna show up to the games. 

I was in my own little world before Jonathan interrupted my thoughts. 

"Do you even like going?" He asked Will. 

"It's fun sometimes." 

"But does he ever want to do anything you want to do?" I asked him. 

"Well, no but... he tries." 

"He shouldn't have to try Will. You're his son. He should adore just the thought of being around you. He shouldn't view spending time with you as a chore." I said to him seriously. 

He sat in thought for a little bit. 

"Do you understand, Will?" Jonathan asked. 

"Yeah, I understand guys." He said with a smile. 

We all sat in silence again. Then the familiar tune started playing. "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" started playing. Will started nodding his head to the beat of the song. 

"You like it, Will?" Jonathan asked him with a small smile on his face.

"Yeah! It sounds good!"

"I'm glad you like it because we are going to have a dance party!" I said excitedly as I pulled Will of Jonathan's bed and started dancing and jumping around like we were crazy.

"Come on Jonathan! Dance with us!" Will exclaimed while pulling Jonathan to his feet.

We just were dancing around and having a good time in order to block out the feeling and sounds of mom and dad fighting. When the song was nearing the end Jonathan engulfed us in a hug and we all stopped dancing and looked at him. 

"No matter what happens, we'll always be together, and we'll always be here for each other."

"Always." I smiled.

 "Always!" Will said excitedly.

*End of flashback*

I opened my eyes and saw us pulling up to a crappy neighborhood. 

"This is the place? This is the shithole he wanted us to live in?" 

"I guess he thought his circumstances were better than ours."  

We kept driving down the street until we found the right house. It was a complete dump. Our house was a castle compared to this. Jonathan turned off the car and climbed out of the car. I did the same. I walked over to the driver's side and stood next to Jonathan. 

"I don't know if I can do this Jonathan." 

"We have to do this Sofie. It's not for us, it's for Will. 

"For Will." I repeated before following Jonathan up the driveway stairs to the door. 

Here we go.