Chapter 27 : For Sofie

"Are you guys sure this is gonna work?" I asked the boys. 

"It should or else we're screwed." Dustin said.

I walked away from the boys and went to help Eleven get ready. I held her hand as she slipped off her shoes and socks. I rolled the sleeves back on her dress and then walked her over to the kiddie pool. 

"You let us know if it's too scary in there, okay." Mom told her. 

We helped her into the pool and then we waited. The boys set up one of the walkies so that if anyone spoke back to Eleven in the place, we would hear it. Apparently, the boys had figured this out. 

We waited and waited. After a few moments of silence, all the lights in the gym shut off. The entire gym was pitch black except for the moonlight reflecting off the water in the pool. 

"Barbara." El whispered.

Nancy leaned forward at the sound of Barb's name. 

"Gone. Gone." 

"What happened? Is BI arb okay?" Nancy burst out. 

"Gone. Gone! Gone!" 

"El it's okay." I assured as I reached my hand into the water to hold her hand. Mom did the same.

"Shh, it's okay. We're here. You're safe." Mom assured her. 

I could hear Nancy begin to panic, but we needed to focus. If Barb was really gone, there was nothing we could do for her now. 

Eleven had calmed down, but she never let go of our hands. She took deep breaths and continued on.

"Castle Byers." 

I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Mom and I leaned forward. Jonathan hurried over to us to be able to hear better. 

"Will?"

"Oh my god!" I let out. 

"You tell him, 'Mom is coming.' Alright, Mom is coming." Mom said to El. 

There was silence again. 

"Hurry." We heard a soft voice say coming from the walkie. 

"He's alive." Jonathan whispered. 

"Will? Will!" She shouted, before she jolted up. I caught her and pulled the goggles off her eyes. 

"You did so good." I whispered as I hugged her. 

Mom also pulled her into a hug. "You did so good, honey. So good." 

Will was still alive, but we needed to hurry. As the boys dried Eleven off with a towel, Mom, Jonathan, Nancy and I talked to Hopper in the hallway. 

"Where is this?"

"It's in the woods behind our house." Mom responded. 

Hopper pushed past us and started making his way out to the parking lot. We all followed him except for Nancy. 

"Hopper!" Mom shouted after him.

"Joyce, this is dangerous. You can't go. If something happens to me, if I don't come back-"

"Well then I'll go! You stay! He's my son, Hop. My son. I'm going." 

"I'm coming too." I added. 

"No." They both said. 

"Guys, I have to go with you! I know that lab and I know the people! You'll be walking in there like bait, and no protection. I have to go." 

Mom was about to protest but Hopper cut her off. "Hurry up." He turned on his heel and made his way to the car.