Chapter 30 : Christmas is Here

"Here. Here, stop here." I jumped out of the car with Jonathan right behind me. We ran into the emergency room lobby heading straight for the front desk. 

"How can I help you kid-"

"Byers. William Byers. Has he come through yet?" 

"I'm afraid I cannot give you that information."

"Why not? He's our brother!" Jonathan snapped. 

"A parent or guardian must be present. I cannot help you."

"Chief Hopper made a deal with Dr. Brenner. I will not keep to it if we don't know about my brother. I know you know of this. Everyone in this hospital must."

The lady went real quiet after that. She typed something into the computer and then handed us some visitors stickers. 

"Your brother is still on route. You will have to wait here."

"There is another person coming. Steve Harrington. He is allowed to be here also." 

She hesitantly nodded her head. She handed me and Jonathan another sticker and then we walked away from the desk. The door to the lobby opened and it was Steve. I walked over and handed him the sticker. 

"What's going on? Is he here yet?"

"Not yet. I had to argue with the lady at the front desk to let us stay, but I did it."

"That's my girl." He smiled.

"Friend." I corrected.

"Right. Sorry, friend."

We sat and waited anxiously. It felt like we were waiting for too long. I stood up and went to the front desk again.

"What is taking so long?"

"Ms. Byers, your brother is in critical condition. He needs to be transported carefully."

"Ma'am, I know you're just trying to do your job, but you need to do it better."

"Sofie, let's go sit down. I'm terribly sorry for the disturbance, ma'am." Steve said as he held my shoulders and led me back to the chairs. 

I sat down annoyed and closed my eyes for a second. I was exhausted. I finally let my mind relax for the first time in like 3 days. The room was silent. All you could hear was the lady clicking on her computer. I started to feel my mind slipping away from the moment. 

When I opened my eyes, I was in the place. 

"What?" I whispered as I looked around. 

There was nothing anywhere. I wasn't even trying to look for someone. 

"Sofie."

I turned around.

"El?"

She was standing, facing me. She looked at me. She could see me. 

I took a step towards her, but she was gone. 

"El? Eleven!" 

I jolted awake. I was back in the lobby. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Jonathan asked. 

"I saw Elev-"

"William Byers! Age 12! He is in critical condition! We need to move fast!" 

We shot out of our seats. 

"Will!"

"You guys cannot come back here!"

"Get out of my way!" 

Security came up behind us and tried to pull us away. 

"Let go of me!"