Chapter 19 : Fake Funerals

I've never been to a funeral before. I never thought my first funeral would be a fake one though. Not that I've imagined going to a funeral before but that's beside the point. 

I was wearing a simple black dress, black heels and a silver necklace. When I had finished fixing my hair, I walked out of my room and into Mom's to make sure she was getting ready. She was sitting on her bed holding one of Will's stuffed animals. 

I didn't want to bother her. She was dressed and ready to go. Lonnie had convinced her that everything we saw was just in our heads and our emotions getting the better of us. 

He was full of shit. 

I walked down the hall and into Jonathan's room. He was standing in front of his mirror trying to tie his tie.

"Need some help?" 

"No. I can figure it out. I doubt you know how to do it."

I walked over to him and tied it in about 30 seconds. 

"How?"

"Steve."

We both fell silent. 

"What's the plan?" 

"We're going to hash everything out with Nancy once the funeral is over." 

"I still can't believe we're doing this with Nancy Wheeler. It's just too trippy man." 

We both fell silent once again. My eyes wandered around the room, and they landed on a picture of the three of us framed on Jonathan's desk. I'd never seen it before. 

"Where is this from?" 

"Mom. She took it one day when we weren't paying attention. I decided to keep it." 

"It's cute." I smiled softly as I stayed staring at it. 

"We'll be all together again Sofie. We're gonna be okay." Jonathan whispered as he pulled me into a hug. 

"God, I hope so." 

We were both staring down at the picture but were interrupted by the slam of a door. Both of our heads snapped towards Jonathan's now closed door with Lonnie standing in the room. 

"What do you want?" I asked annoyed. 

"Are we leaving all together?" 

"No." Jonathan and I answered. 

Lonnie walked out of the room slamming the door again. 

"I don't understand why he still tries to make us like him. He is so annoying." I complained, while fixing my hair again in the mirror. 

"He just thinks we'll forgive him one day." 

"He is the definition of delusional." I laughed. "Ready to go?" 

"I suppose." He sighed. 

The whole car ride was silent. I thought Jonathan would at least tell me a little bit of the plan, but he was silent the whole ride. 

Will's funeral services had started already, but I could care less. Even though I knew my brother wasn't dead, sitting here pretending he was wasn't any easier. 

People cried or looked lifeless. I didn't understand. There were people grieving a little boy they didn't even know. People gave me looks. Hopper had announced that I was not missing, and I had just run off for a week. 

People were calling me irresponsible, reckless and at fault for my brothers' disappearance. And the truth is, I was at fault. Will was gone because of me.