Chapter 16 : A New Prince

Steve's Pov

"I don't understand. So, you went back to my house?" 

"To look for Barb." 

I was currently standing in between the gym and the school building talking to Nancy. It was the day after the party, and she was raving about some guy in my yard. 

"I'm being serious. I saw... something in your yard." 

"You saw a person hanging out in my yard?" 

"I don't know what it was." 

"But it had no face? This just doesn't make sense." 

"I know it doesn't make sense, but we have to tell someone." 

"This is bad."

"What is bad?" 

"If you go to the cops, they're gonna want to talk to everyone. Tommy, Carol everyone that was at the party." 

"So?" 

"My parents are gonna kill me!"

"Barb is missing and you're worried about your parents?!"

"You don't understand my dad is a grade A asshole!" 

"I can't believe you!"

"Look if you go to the cops, just don't mention the beers." 

"What?"

"Looks it's just gonna get both of us in trouble and Barb has nothing to do with it." 

"I can't believe you, Steve. You're ridiculous." 

"Nancy. Nancy wait!" 

I can't believe she just walked away from me. It's probably nothing anyways. She was just imagining things. 

My entire mood was ruined, and I just wanted to leave. School would be over in a few minutes anyway so I wouldn't be missing anything. 

I got in my car and made my way to town square. I needed to smoke but I didn't have any cigarettes. I parked my car and started walking around. I kind of liked the fresh air. Not having a care in the world. Besides the fact that my girlfriend is missing, and I invited her friend to a party with me to make me forget about her. I honestly don't feel that guilty about it. What Sofie doesn't know won't hurt her.

While I was lost in thought I bumped into someone. 

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me! Can nobody watch where they're going?!" 

Wait, I know that voice. I waited for the person, who I now realized was a girl, to turn around. 

It was her. Sofia Byers was standing right in front of me. She looked more beautiful than ever. There was a small cut on her lip but other than that she was perfect. 

Now I'm starting to feel a little guilty about what I did. 

"Steve." 

"Sofie? Oh my god, what are you doing here? I thought you were missing. What are you doing here?" 

She seemed to be at a loss for words. I watched her swallow nervously before explaining. 

"I had to go visit my dad for a couple of days." 

"Sofie, you were gone for a week. Why didn't you tell me?  

"It was just really last minute. He called me after you dropped me off and I didn't want to bother you." 

"No, it's fine. I'm just glad you're okay." 

I stared at her face, and I slowly started to see that she looked different. Her hair was shorter. She had a few bruises that were healing but still visible. 

"Sofie, what happened to you?" 

"What do you mean?"

"Sofie, your hair is shorter, you have bruises and a cut on your lip? I don't know if I'm imagining things but that's not normal." 

"It's nothing you have to worry about Steve. I'm fine." She said, plastering on a small smile. 

"I really hope you are, Sofie." 

"I am. I promise." 

"Is there anything I can do for you? Maybe wanna hangout?" 

She stared at me for a few seconds. She nodded her head and then stood closer to me. I turned around and directed her to my car.  

"So where are we going?" 

"There's a game at the school that starts in like an hour and a half. We could go to that." 

"Yeah, that's fine. While we wait, I'm going to pick some of the stuff I missed up." 

"Yeah, don't worry." 

We both fell silent after a little while. I had seen the news about Will, but I didn't know how to bring it up. 

"So, I uh... I heard about Will." 

"Yeah." 

"I'm sorry Sofie." 

"What are you sorry about? No one could know what was going to happen." 

"Sofie, that doesn't mean that that wasn't your brother." 

"Steve, I'm fine." 

We had already pulled up to the high school parking lot.

"Sofie, you know you don't have to be okay all the time."

"Steve, I said I'm fine! Got it!" She snapped and got out of the car. 

I opened my door and got out too. 

"Sofie! Sofie, come back! Wait!" 

She was already at the front door, walking in. 

I ran over to her and was close behind. 

"Sofie, come back! Stop walking!" 

"Steve, just go wait with Tommy and Carol! I need to be alone for a second." 

"Sofie, come on!" 

"I mean it, Steve!" 

She kept walking down the hall and I just watched her. She was acting weird, but if she wanted to be alone, I would leave her alone. For a few minutes that is.

I walked away to go look for Tommy and Carol. There were sitting in the hallway over from the gym. All the halls were empty except for a few stragglers, so everything echoed throughout the halls. 

"Harrington, nice of you to join us." 

"You guys won't believe who I ran into in town square." 

"Who?" Carol asked sitting up straighter. 

"Sofie. She was just standing there." 

"No way. The princess is alive?" 

"Well, no shit I just said I saw her." 

"Where is she then?" Tommy asked. 

"We got into an argument on the way over here and she said she wanted to be alone." 

"Well let's go find the little princess and welcome her home." Carol said, while standing up and pulling Tommy up with her. 

"Guys, I don't think she wants to see us right now." 

"C'mon Harrington. You gotta keep your end of the deal. Can't give up now just cause it's getting hard." 

I cannot believe I'm still keeping up with this bet. It was stupid, but I don't intend to lose. I was going to make Sofia Byers fall in love with me and then I was going to leave her in the dust. That was the deal. 

We rounded the corner and I saw her talking to that freak Eddie Munson. What the hell was she doing talking to a freak like Eddie Munson?

"Looks like the princess found a new prince, Harrington." Tommy whispered in my ear. 

We were watching her and the freak talk. Her back was to us, so she didn't know that we were even watching her. 

Then out of nowhere she hugs him. 

What the hell is going on?!