Journey

Trying to talk to Spider was a failure and since Miles can't be seen in my room we couldn't even come up with a better way to intercept him. The day went by and he did not seem happy with any of us but at least I think he didn't tell anyone.

"Come on, only that will work," I whisper as I look at Miles.

It's his night shift, the only time when we will be able to talk for now.

"Anatuat... well, yeah. I was gonna say no but if anyone sees us I'll just say that I wanted to talk to you about what to say in the next village."

"Okay then... you come for me in the morning and we intercept the kid in his room," I confirm.

"You know... I've been thinking of our plan and I don't know how to tell Sully about the construction. To you I know that it doesn't make sense... buildings, apartments... it's not something from here, but he will and still I don't know what he can actually do with that information" he says walking to stand close to me.

"I may not be able to imagine what those are..." I say a little irritated, "but I do know that they are meant to have a lot of people in them and take up space that's not theirs so, I get some of it." I complain.

"I didn't mean it that way, love," he says.

"Whatever" I reply.

"Well, about it, I really don't know what would be best. I can't send him a stack of papers about the plans and space and capacity, is not even important if we're gonna bring it down" he says.

"You could summarize it, you know, just gather the information about where it is and how to enter... how many people are there, that kind of stuff" I think that should be useful.

"The messenger is still something we gotta figure out," he looks at me sideways and I lick my lips. There's no point in me repeating that I should be the messenger if he's just gonna say no again.

"We'll figure it out later. For now, let's focus on talking to Spider and making it through the week."

"Deal," he says.

"Deal," I repeat.

He stands and paces around the deck just in case and I sit. Even back here where there's a little ramp my feet can't reach the water.

"Be careful," Miles says and I scrunch my nose.

"I'm gonna be fine," I say.

"If you fall into the water I'll have to jump in and save you," he says and comes to sit next to me.

"I'll save you," I correct him. He squints and I copy and after a while we laugh.

"I tried finding you something else to eat, not from a box," he says resting his arm over my shoulder and pulling me a little closer to him. I rest my head on his shoulder.

"I could only find another box of seeds and some type of cereal that they say is made from dried... grass or something, I don't know. Other than that there's fish and the stuff from boxes" he explains and I sigh.

"I miss home," I say and move to rest my head on his lap, his hand brushes the hair out of my face.

"I promise you'll be back soon," he says.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I warn him. That's something very close to my heart and I think may help in saving many disappointments.

"I'm keeping that one. No matter what happens you'll be back home," he says rubbing my cheek and I feel my eyes water.

"You better be there with me," I say turning my head and giving his hand a kiss. He smirks.

"That's the plan," he says.