Chapter 20 "BORNFIRE"

Sasha walked in and I knew I had to leave my friends again. Lilah gave me a big hug before I stood up and she whispered "be strong, I love you". I smiled at her and nodded my head at everyone as reassurance that everything will be alright although I knew that even I didn't believe this.

"your friend is right you know, be strong-very strong.We prepare for the last meal of the day now and the king has something to announce. Hopefully it is letting your friends go" Sasha said leading me to the tent where meals  were being prepared. I was familiar with these tents now.

They weren't anything special, just some sort of strong material put together to form a habitat. Women were cooking meat on the fire while some gathered fruits and placed them in bowels made of clay. Sasha helped me pick food for the King, again.

"I hate doing this" I whispered to her

She grabbed my arm a bit too harsh "never say anything like that again, they can all hear you and that makes things worse for you"

I swallowed hard and followed her silently. I didn't need them to like me, it was obvious Sasha didn't get it. I wanted them to hate me and let me go. I wanted them to see that I had no intentions of staying here or becoming their kings love or whatever.

We got to another clear area where lots of people were gathered including my friends. They were sitted alone, isolated from everyone else like outcasts. There was a large bornfire in the middle lighting everyone's face clearly in the darkness of the night.

The King was sitting on a large seat facing everyone. I almost smiled when I saw Vera feeding him from her plate but something deep inside me was kind of annoyed. Sasha handed me the Plate with meat and fruits. I looked at her confused, he was already being fed.

"he is eating already" I whispered almost silently knowing now that I could be heard.

She sighed seeming kind of annoyed "I am trying to help you but it seems that you want to remain blinded to our ways. Take it to the King, If he refuses it means you are failing badly" she said in an accent I have never heard  before. She was not using this accent earlier but now that she was annoyed it was so clear, it was not an English accent.

"I am sorry Sasha but I cannot do it. I just can't" I said giving her back the plate.

She shook her head "may the moon goddess be with you." she said walking away.

I could feel his eyes all over me, it made me uncomfortable. I decided to to stand and watch everything around me. The fire brought comfortable warmth, my friends were guarded by so many wolves. I doubt I was allowed to be with them.

Sasha returned frowning "come, sit" she said pointing to a log two steps behind me.

I sat down and avoided looking at their King although I could feel him watching or maybe it was my imagination.

"he is watching you" Sasha nudged me, confirming my thoughts.

I pretended not to hear her instead I continued to look at the fire. I chose to get lost in its flames. There was something beautiful about it, the heat made my heart feel at home. I felt freedom calling me inside those flames, it's weird that I was even feeling that way. Some might even think I had gone mad or I was suicidal but something deep inside me knew those flames were like home. It wouldn't hurt to be home again.

"silence!" the second in command demanded and the crowd went silent. People stopped dancing around the fire.

I hadn't even realized all this was happening. It's as if time passed and I got left behind. The King stood up, he had something to say. His size always surprised me, he was a big man. All muscles, his height was amazing and his beauty was mesmerizing. His beard had grown and so had his hair that he wore loose today.

"My people, ouyt Drazhan verghat yt tihyan shidhat yta ouyt tiyhunt zhat yhan fit shut (our enemies decided to penetrate fearlessly into our territory without any second thoughts)" he scoffed before continuing, Sasha translated what he was saying to me in my language. "gratya wit dogha zhit vhidyat (that will not go unpunished)" he motioned for the prisoners to come towards him

Kaiza and some other faces I was not familiar with were brought to him including my friends. My heart immediately dropped. I glared at him, I could feel my eyes get watery. What would he do to them now. As if he felt my glare, he glanced at me with a smirk on his face.

"Kaiza the pup that never learns. You will be  our prisoner for decades and decades to come. Your people will die trying to save you because I will make sure your brother knows you are alive existing with the rats in your new home." immediately after his sentence he was taken away and people cheered. Some even made howling sounds, it was all so weird.

After that 4 men where brought forward. Alaric did not say anything, he took out his right hand and long razor sharp nails grew out. My heart stopped for a second when a loud slashing sound was made. There was blood, lots of blood before the four men dropped dead.

That wasn't all, warriors took their bodies and dragged them towards the fire before throwing them into the born fire. I stood up and staggered a few steps away from the fire, the smell of burning flesh made me want to puke my guts out. Sasha grabbed my arm and held me steady. Some people just glared at me, I even heard some muttering words like 'weak'. I didn't care they were all murderers, animals.

My friends looked so scared I wanted to take them away from him. He was a monster, if he did anything to harm them I would die. "Humans, weak, fragile, you are like nityaz (pests) crawling into my territory" he said and people laughed. He was mocking us in front of his people,degrading us.

"I will let you go. You are not a threat to me, you have brought me my mate. For that you get to live. Make no mistake if you try anything stupid I will rip your little hearts out. Take them away from my territory." he commanded and his warriors dragged my friends away.

I didn't even get to say goodbye. I immediately ran towards them but Sasha was so fast she caught me and stopped me.   "stay strong, remember" she whispered in my ear so softly I almost didn't hear her.