Chapter 23 "ON THE RUN"

CLARKE

There had been a delay for the launch after Cohan realized the pods engine had a malfunction. We have been stuck underwater for the past few days without any communication from our children or the other pods. It was horrible because I kept thinking about my baby girl and we were almost out of oxygen. Cohan believed he could fix up one of the scraps of a pod stored away. So we would leave an oxygen tank with him, that's how much faith I had in him.

Sansa was an angel, she was quiet but very kind and caring. She would smile and offer me one of her dolls. She only ate when I ate. I left her playing with one of her toys while I helped Cohan set up the pod for the last time ensuring we would travel without complications.

"Are you sure you will be fine. You know I wish I could stay with you" I told him honestly.

He smiled "I know Clarke but Aria needs you up there more than I do. Besides you won't be of much use down here" he said the last part playfully

I laughed "okay Mr Know it all"

I helped him check the oxygen levels and it finally seemed like everything was perfect "I wish I knew where everyone else is, we haven't heard from any of the pods we sent out."

Cohan sighed as he held my hand "go out there, set up the radios and search for the rest of our people - all of them. I will join you soon."

"I will, I promise" I squeezed his hand a little

He looked deep into my eyes as if he was searching for something. I tried to ignore the warmth and softness of his hand. The sound of Jack clearing his throat snapped us back to reality "everything is set!" Cohan announced letting go of my hand, he stood up excitedly.

Jack smiled pretending as if he didn't see us holding hands just now. I felt a bit embarrassed and guilty to be honest but I brushed those feelings away. Jack hugged Cohan for a second. "Thank you brother, this means a lot. We will meet again"

Cohan gave Jack a pat on the back before letting him go "until we meet again."

Jack helped me pack my equipment onto the pod. He grunted as we struggled a little with the large box "I thought we agreed to carry less, it feels like we are carrying a whole person in here" he rolled his eyes

I laughed nervously, "We need everything that's in there. Who knows if our children are probably seriously injured" I explained as we successfully put the box in a corner.

I prayed that Sansa would be comfortable and I explained to her that she had to be quiet until our game of hide and seek was over. Hopefully she would be calm enough to stay silent. I managed to slip in an oxygen mask that I connected to one of the hidden oxygen tanks. Nobody had noticed that yet.

"Now let's get you both set" Cohan said helping me in my seat. I wore my oxygen mask and he helped me secure my seat belt. I gave him a thumbs up for the good work.

Jack had already helped himself but Cohan checked him for a minute until he was satisfied. He gave us both a thumbs up. We were really going to see our people again, it scared me but mostly it excited me that I would be seeing Aria again.

I could feel the engine start up as the countdown began. "4,3,2,1...0...0...0" and we blasted off. My heart raced as I stared at Jack who smiled at me. So far everything was going smoothly. I swallowed hard and prayed Sansa wouldn't panic.

*** *** *** *** ***

LILAH

"we need to find a better hiding place" I suggested as I looked at Tyler. Apparently he had made himself our leader.I was too worried about our safety to argue with him. Currently we were hiding behind a few bushes, it was a bad idea to keep hiding there for a long time.

Amara nodded her head "I agree, we should go back to our pod and hide there"

I almost rolled my eyes at her, that was the worst idea ever. Tyler shook his head "don't be ridiculous, that pod is like a magnet for danger right now. We can't go back there, atleast not tonight"

"We will have to go there during daylight. We will collect our equipment and try to communicate with everyone else in hiding" I suggested and Tyler agreed

Damon stood up "we need to move now" he said as we heard a snapping sound.

We immediately began moving until it was silent again. Sam ran ahead and I almost screamed at her. This was not the time to be running off alone! She motioned for us to follow her. We moved fast, making sure to hide behind bushes and huge logs. It was hard to see in the dark but we didn't stop for anything.

I almost cried with joy as we hid under two huge rocks, it almost looked like a small cave. The boys left for five minutes before coming back with leaves and twigs covering up the rocks and the entrance. They used small logs as well to ensure that we were well hidden for the night.

"get some rest Shane and I will be on the look out tonight" Tyler said to the rest of us.I nodded and closed my eyes.

It's funny how time can move so fast when the world is in chaos. I seriously felt like I hadn't slept for even a minute. I was so exhausted but the voices of my friends arguing definitely notified me that it was already daylight. I glared at Amara and Shane for disturbing my sleep.

"I say we go there and join them! That's the sensible thing to do" Amara shouted

I clapped my hands once and they both looked at me "do you guys seriously have a death wish. You are busy screaming for those monsters to come and have us for breakfast! Where is Tyler and the others?" I asked noticing it was just the three of us.

Shane waved the radio at me "we had communication from two other pods. Tyler and the others are gathering food for us but they managed to get our equipment. He asked me to work on the radio..."

I immediately cut him off "wait go back... Did you just say you had communication!"

"yes they are exactly a few kilometers away from us in the opposite direction. West, however they warned us not come that side, they are heading in our direction for safety." he explained "Amara over here wants us to go there when clearly we have been warned" he finished off with a sigh

Obviously Amara lost her brain and senses under water. For a scientist she was dumb. "so it's clear, we wait for them here.We make it as comfortable as possible."