S1.C1 - A water bottle (Jeddah)

The alarm on my phone wakes me up but I don't want to get out of bed, it's 6:30 am and I went to sleep just a couple of hours ago. I'm not ready for the day I have in front of me.
I stayed to the track till late to fix some issues on the car and to discuss strategies with Carlos Sainz, my driver.
Today is the big day, today is race day, the second of the year, Saudi Arabia GP here in Jeddah.
I've worked for Scuderia Ferrari since January, I'm just an intern that's what is written on my badge but the reality is that I work all day without being paid but as they said with "experience and, well, trips around the world". I am really happy anyway because I'm just 23 and as a stage before starting my master is a dream.

I jump into the shower and dress up thinking about the hot and long day I have ahead.
Red T-shirt and a MacBook in my hands I run down the stairs and get into the bus where there are already all my colleagues, we are all ready to go to Jeddah circuit.
"Occhi stanchi" [Tired eyes]
"Si, ieri sera è stato un inferno. Le strategie però ci sono" I smile "Anche Charles tutto pronto? Magari succedesse come l'ultima gara" [Yes, yesterday night has been a nightmare. Strategies are ready though. With Charles is everything alright? Hope it will go at the last race]
"Stamattina debrief senza pressione" Claudio says joking "non è che tutti i Tifosi pretendono il bis" [This morning no pressure at the debriefing, not like Tifosi want 1-2 again]
I smile, knowing well that the truth is this, Tifosi want another 1-2 but I also know that we can't be lucky again, Max's car will not stop this time.

We arrive at the circuit and the day flies, interviews, technical checks and strategy debriefing, I don't even realise that the lights go off and car 55 speeds along the straight.
I can just watch the race from the engineers' room, playing with the wire of my red headphones while I listen to the breathless voice, with that familiar Spanish accent, answering to the pit wall.

P3, not bad, second race second podium, I'm so proud of Carlos, I know the hard work he is doing, we became friends and that's one of the best things when you work with someone for so many hours per day.
I run under the podium to celebrate the two Ferrari drivers, while I watch disgusted the Bulls singing the Dutch anthem, I would have preferred the Italian anthem.
The air is humid and the heat is too much, as soon as the celebration ends I walk away heading to the paddock.

I'm overthinking about what will people at home say...bam.
"Oddio scusami davvero" [Oh I'm so sorry]
I look up and I see a black race suit with a silver star. Mercedes. Lewis Hamilton, the champion is in front of me.
"No worries" the voice is broken, the back against the glass wall, from his eyes I can imagine that the race in that bouncing car must have been exhausting.
"Are you alright?" My voice is unsure, I'm still a little fan of Lewis, he is a champion in my favourite sport.
"Yes, yes" he breathes heavily, his eyes closed "have you seen Angela? I need to drink"
"I can't see her, I go get you something"
I run and bring him something to drink.
"Thank you" he says looking at me, he looks at my Ferrari T-shirt "double podium, congratulations"
I feel bad for him, I can only imagine what he is going through, with that car, I smile "yeah... I'm sorry for, for your team, I'm sure you'll be back in the fight soon"
His dark eyes look at me with a sad gaze "Mh... I'm not completely sure"
Someone is calling him, a Mercedes mechanic arrives there and drags him away, he looks at me like he wants to say something but at the same time someone is screaming my name so I say "bye" and run in the opposite direction.

"Hey, here you are, I've been looking for you everywhere, thirsty?" Angela looks at Lewis while he ties up his race suit on his waist and walks to his driver's room.
"No thanks, I've already drunk"
Angela is confused but she keeps walking in silence and she puts the bottle back into the bag.
"Listen, can you get me the number of someone from another team?"
Angela looks at him maliciously "Mh yes I can. Why? Someone I should know? The blonde woman from Alpine? The one who's always looking at you?"
Lewis laughs "no, no, nothing like that, I met a girl, she was really nice and I wanted to say thanks to her"
"Girl?"
"Ferrari, she looks young but she was wearing the engineer shirt so I don't know, her name is Isabelle" the driver says recalling the green eyes of the girl he is asking about.
"Lewis..."
"I really just want to thank her" he smiles and enters his room, a quick shower and he is out for the interviews, this time they will be harder but a deep breath and he is at the TV press.

Finally, I'm in my hotel room again, time to pack and tomorrow I'll be back home in Italy.
I can't even stand after the shower, I finish packing and lay on the bed.
Buzz. A message. I try to reach the phone on the bedside table.
-Hi, it's Lewis, I just want to say thank you-
I sit down and try to think. Lewis. Lewis Hamilton just texted me? He wanted to thank me? For a water bottle? I'm still thinking about the text while I fall asleep.