S1.C23 - Hot lap (Abu Dhabi)

When we land in Abu Dhabi I can already see Lewis is feeling different.
"You good?" I ask touching his arm.
"Sure" he says faking a smile "you are here"
He doesn't usually talk about last year, he has never mentioned it to me and that's why I know he is still not over.

"I am thinking of arranging a dinner with all the drivers for Seb"
"That's an amazing idea, you should do it"
"I'll call my favourite place and see if they can manage to have us all there" he says looking at the skyline outside the window of our room "I used to love it here"
"It is amazing, you don't love it anymore?"
"Last year... I just remember booking a plane right after the podium and flying back home. I locked myself in my room in England for like a week, just me and Roscoe. I still feel like if I only..."
I get closer to him, place my hand on his cheek "It was their fault, it has never been yours"
"Was it?"
"Yes, they will pay for it, maybe not soon but baby, I promise I will be under the podium here in Abu Dhabi screaming your name as you lift the world champion trophy for the eight time"
He looks at me, without speaking he gives a soft kiss on my lips "What if I'll never be champion again?"
"You will never stop being the champion" I say holding his hand, he smiles softly.

On Friday when we are entering the paddock, Lewis takes my hand and smiles.
"Let's go baby" I say imitating him
He laughs and kisses my cheek before putting his sunglasses back on for, what I call, his personal "fashion walk".

The weekend on track is average, not a lot of hope for a win or a podium, but both the championships are already decided so the whole team is more chilled than I expected, we have the team photos, we are all talking about our winter holidays and about the new car.

"It will be black"
"Really?" I say to my colleague.
"Yes, can't wait, I like silver but black is the best"
"I agree but we need to keep the black race suits"
"Yes, they are so sexy, sorry" she says laughing
I laugh and look at Lewis standing in front of his car "They are extremely sexy"
"You are a lucky girl"
"I know" I answer and laugh even louder, Lewis comes closer smiling "Why are you laughing so loud?"
"Nothing nothing" I say fixing his fireproof.
"Isabelle"
"Ouch my full name?"
He smiles
"Stavo dicendo che sei un gran figo, Sir" (I was saying you are very hot, Sir)
"Really?" He laughs "You know I don't speak Italian"
"Time to learn it, amore"

After quali and all the debriefs, we have some free time that we spend on the pit lane chilling while we watch the sunset.
"Isabelle!"
"George, why are you screaming?" I smile and look at him sitting next to me.
"Hot lap" he screams again.
"Hot lap?" I scream back.
"C'mon" he says grabbing my arm
"Nope, love you Georgie but nope, I like to live for a couple of more years"
"Lewis? Can I get her for a hot lap?" George asks
Lewis looks at my scared face and smiles "Sure"
"You little... are you taking revenge on me?"
"Venddetta" he says moving his hand.
"There's one D in revenge, honey. You'll pay for this and you too" I look at George who already has an helmet on his hands "yes, I'm coming, don't kill us"

I have never laughed so much in my life, at least until we switch position and I drive while George screams at every corner "Break! Break!"
When I cross the finish line I see Toto and Lewis laughing at us "Wanna know the fun fact?" says Toto crying "You were faster than George"
"Yes, I was trying to be nice, she was trying to kill us" says George offended
"My little champion" says Lewis laughing and he comes hugging me
"Nope, stay away, you send me in that car, I almost throw up but it was funny and.." I start laughing indicating the stopwatch in Toto's hands.
"Come here" says Lewis trying to catch me while I start running around the pit lane.

At the end of the pitlane Carlos is watching Isabelle running away from Lewis and laughing.
"She looks happy"
Lando turns around and looks the little scene in front of the Mercedes garage "She looks happy yeah. Still not over?"
"I don't think I will ever be over her"
"That bad?"
"That good" Carlos answers overthinking.
"She said she needs time, right? Leave her alone for a while and she'll come back"
"Not that sure"
"But I am. So move your ass and change your clothes, I am hungry and tired, Smooth Operator" says Lando pushing Carlos back in his garage.

On Sunday, the race is not really interesting, a damage on the first lap costs Lewis a lots of speed and in the end the floor is so damaged that we need to retire the car, George manages to keep a decent P5 till the end.

Lewis doesn't stay in the garage after the DNF, I can't see him at the end of the race and Angela is not here either, I start being a bit worried.
I look at my phone and see a text.
A-TV Pen-
I-Thanks Angela-
I finish all my duties in the garage and head to the TV Pen. I see him smiling and talking to the journalist, he notices me and winks, I shake my hand and walk near Angela waiting for him to finish.
"Thanks for the update"
"No worries, he asked me to look for you after the race" says Angela
"Oh"
"He is fine, I think he just wants to see you" she says smiling "Here he is"
Lewis comes to us with a big smile on his face, he kisses me and says "Here is my girl"
"Are you ok Lewis? I know the DNF is..."
"Yes, I'm fine, this shit is over, let's go home"
I laugh "You are not wrong and yes, I am pretty tired let's go home"

I go back to the hospitality to grab my bag before leaving the track and I hear someone calling my name.
"Hey, can I talk to you?" Says Lando looking at me.
"Norris, what happens?" I am confused.
"Without cameras"
"Sure" I say and follow him in another room
"I know that Carlos didn't act right in Austin but he really cares about you. I am not saying to get him back into your life like nothing happens but... talk to him, next season at least, like I get you need time but" he stops again "he cares about you and he really misses you"
"Lando"
"Just think about it, ok? He is..."
"I'll do"
He smiles and walks away.

On our way back to the airport I remember something.
"Lewis?" I whisper in the back of the taxi
"Yes"
"I am late"
"What?" He says confused "Late for what?"
"I think we should stop to a pharmacy before heading to the airport, just to check it I'm not sure"